Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are post primary teachers contracted to work the month of June?

Options
  • 29-05-2024 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Title says it all really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

No, just primary. A year's contract at post primary runs Sept-Aug, but the school year runs generally late Aug to end May/early days of June depending on calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭HazeDoll

The school year is 167 days. Sometimes that eats into the first few days of June (not this year though!) and we usually start back in the last week of August.

Teachers have the option of earning extra money by supervising state exams, correcting state exams or doing July provision but this isn't part of the contract.

Do you know, on this cold and windy May evening, I can't remember why I sometimes find it hard to like my job. I have vague memories of long late evenings stuck in school, annoying students and unreasonable parents, out-of-touch management and unwieldy IT, but somehow, just right now, the job doesn't seem so bad…

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Warbeastrior

But how come SNAs in post primary are made to stay throughout June if there is SEN work to do but teachers are let off?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭endacl

We’re not ‘let off’.

We’re ‘off’.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Don't be pedantic. You know what i meant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

I presume it’s a contractual issue ? It’s not unusual for different roles to have different contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bluespecs

In addition, teachers have a lot of work to do outside of official school hours. Planning classes, planning differentiation, correcting, schemes of work, obtaining and creating resources, managing resources, maintaining records, managing records, preparing formative and summative assessments, constantly upskilling, administration of all the documentation associated with all of the above…etc etc. They spend time during summer doing some of that work. Post Primary teachers have a long working day too. .

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭whitelaurel

ah pull the other one. What percentage of teachers spend time during the summer doing that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭Treppen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭Treppen

Advertisement