Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thai Red Curry paste…..

Options
  • 26-05-2024 7:25pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I’m going to make a batch, portioned out and put in the freezer.

Basically it seems that the essentials are,

1. Red chili.
    2. Fish sauce, which we have.
    3. Lemon grass
    4. Kaffir lime leaves.

Shallots, coriander, ginger garlic etc etc. Looked around online comparing recipes and the 1 to 4 seem to be essentials. Or, fish paste, more authentic?

Blended together with “ some” water. Have a bunch of plastic “ Philadelphia Cream Cheese” ( cheesecakes recently 😀) tubs on hand.

Missing anything?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Shrimp paste I would think, yeah. Lime juice in addition to the leaves?

Interested to know how this goes, let us know please! 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I never thought of the philadelphia containers. That is genius!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Triple batch, 4 tubs. Happy enough. Not triple chilis though……😬😬😬

Looking good! Is that curry powder in the first pic?

• Advertisement

Turmeric on top of Coriander powders. Would normally use fresh garlic, changed over to jars recently as the bulbs always seem to sprout too quickly 😡.

Need to “up” the chilis. Made a curry this morning and it’s not very spicy. Then again, a whole tin of coconut milk in. Tasty though 😀. Let it sit for a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

If you can get your chilis in an asian shop (like the Asia market in Dublin Town) they are way more spicey; make sure you wear gloves when preparing.

Also I use galangal rather than Ginger, it is less sweet.

I just put the paste in a normal glass jar and it lasts in the fridge for a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Maybe I like the feeling of burning on my nether regions when I 'forget' to wash my hands after chillis.

Have an Asian store up the road in Stillorgan. Good chilis. Surprisingly the local Tesco now has a better selection which took me aback tbh. They have a great variety now. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,950 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

SuperValu used sell a kit that contained the right amount of portions of everything needed to make your own, it was a great idea.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

jeez, the thoughts. I once chopped chilis and even though I had washed my hands when I went to take out my contact lenses - omg the sting..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

It's maybe an urban legend but I heard somewhere that in the Tabasco factory there is a sign on the door of the restroom reminding people to wash their hands before using the toilet.

How to get that “stalky” feel of freshly ground Lemon Grass out of the mix? Grate it? Put it in a small spice grinder and grind it to …….you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

R

I remove tough outer layers then slice it finely across the stalk before blending. The "strings run lengthways".

Same, removed harder outers and cut finely enough before blending. It’s not too bad actually……the fibre content. When I was tasting the curry when cooking I must have been unlucky to scoop a few spoons with stalk.

Made a Thai Red just there now with a tray of chicken thighs using a portion of my made up red paste but…….added two teaspoons of “Mae Ploy” Thai Red Curry paste and a teaspoon of chili flakes to give it a rev up 😀.

Spicy.

Advertisement