Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel Car For Sister

Options
  • 24-05-2024 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Max budget 10,000.

Is this milage to be believed ? anyone know anything about this dealer ?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-ceed-2012-very-low-mileage/36990376

What about this ?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-2008-2015-nct-29-05-25/36932004

Or this

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-3008-low-mileage-active-1-6hdi-115-4dr/36847016

And this

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2015-kia-ceed-ceed-1-isg-crdi/36555959

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭User1998

I know the first dealer, he helped me out with some paperwork before for VRT. Seems like a nice guy. I’d still run a history check etc to verify mileage tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Surprised you haven't persuaded her to buy a 1 litre petrol Ceed! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Mad_Lad

Ah she could do with a petrol but obsessed with and insists on diesel, it will save her loads of money in her mind but anyway whatever she wants so I search for diesel.

Deleted as Quote failed to appear.

She's suspicious of the low mileage, can we really trust the car check ?

• Advertisement

If the history check, nct sheets, and service history checks out then theres no reason not to trust it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

As above if all checks come back clean and it looks/feels/drives pretty tightly then no reason to doubt. A Kia Cee'd of that year is a car where low mileage may not be a shocker.

Thanks, yeah that's what I though, I'll see if she will check it out, at least take a look.

Thanks, yeah, it's worth a look. It's a Dublin reg so could have been used mostly for school runs and shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,894 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/a180-1-5cdi-manual-only-passed-nct-07-25/36523848

Could consider the Mercedes A class,

• Advertisement

That might be worth a look, thanks.

I also spotted this a lot closer to home , low mileage, seems genuine from looking at the NCT cert.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/citroen/c4/fpa/3685734?journey=Search

She's a very difficult Woman to assist buying cars, maybe all Sisters are the same lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Likely the person who bought it originally had the same idea about needing to a buy a diesel "to save money".

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Murt2024

Yea Kia Creed be a good car, was going to recommend Skoda but they all have massive mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wouldn’t be focussing on buying a modern diesel with incredibly low mileage.

Yeah, well sis is convinced Diesel will save her and petrol will empty her account but she doesn't take into account that the last time she drove a petrol she was commuting long distance and she's not now and wants a diesel on the "I might have to commute again" and she has to commute to luas in City West 1 day a week and even if she had to drive to the luas 5 days a week would mean, Naas to City west ? I keep telling her she doesn't need a Diesel for this.

All the stuff she's looking at has high mileage and I showed her some low mileage petrols and no, straight away, she'd rather the high mileage diesel to save her loads, head banging off wall !

I see a Dacia Sandero in Carlow for 75,000 Kms 8,000 Euro, those Renault diesels are ultra reliable too. She'll probably turn her nose up at it because it's a dacia but they're everywhere for good reason too you can buy a new one for around 16K, granted it's basic but that's what a lot of people want, A to B transport none of this electronic sh*1 and gadgets.

And most of the dealers shut at lunch on Saturday's so another day wasted……..

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/dacia/sandero/fpa/3614639?journey=Search

I'd rather she got a lower mileage petrol to be honest because in reality she doesn't need a Diesel to go from Naas once a week to City West Luas and even if she has to go 5 days it's not worth paying more for a high mileage diesel in my opinion but time is ran out today as by the time I get to Nass to pick her up to go look at some cars they'll all be shut for the weekend.

Told her to make a short list but it is now a long list lol.

What about a lower mileage C4 Diesel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd advise her to get a low mileage petrol and leave it at that.

If she wants to buy a diesel which isn't suited to her needs, I'd let her at it. Tell her she's making the wrong choice and let her go on her own.

Some people can't be talked to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The Renault 1.5 DCi is ultra reliable or at least some of them are. The 2009-2010 Megane Mk3 86 bhp that sold in their thousands in the scrappage scheme of the time have no DPF and no DMF. Coming up to 600k kms on mine and the only repairs I've had are wear and tear with suspension etc. No electrical problems. No engine problems. No rust.

Yeah the DCi engines have a great rep, so if she wanted a high mileage one might not be so bad but all depends on how well it was looked after like anything I suppose.

I sent her a link to a captur DCi, around 150,000 if I remember correctly and she said " I don't want SUV " I said, it's not an SUV it's a taller hatchback, ffs, she's driving me nuts !

The Sandero in Carlow though 73 K miles 8 K would be worth a look at that price.

I'd love to show her this hahaha.

Yea I told her already multiple times but she just doesn't get that she's not driving from the carlow end of Kildare to Sandyford Industrial estate any more and she did this in a 2002 1.2 petrol Clio she got cheap at the time. There's a big difference from that than from Naas to Citywest Luas lol

Can't be talked to is right !

• Advertisement

If anything it should be an electric car she should be buying. Seems to suit her use case perfectly?

Me personally I wouldn’t even entertain the idea of a diesel but I know what people can be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭teediddlyeye

I've managed to convince a couple of family members not to buy diesel. Such an uphill struggle in Ireland. They were thankfull in the long run!

As said above, best thing to do is let her off on her own.

Naas to Citywest is 19km, thats long enough to build up soot in a DPF but not long enough to burn it off again. Who will get the blame when it poops itself?

The cheapest leaf will do that return trip with plenty to spare!

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

I wouldn't be too concerned about how well looked after it was. I'm talking about the 2009-2010 DCis here. Lack of DPF means much less potential for "dieselgeddon" or "short journey" problems. It also means they are not fussy about what oil goes into them.

No electric, and the range of an older Leaf for example wouldn't be at all suitable because she does take longer trips from time to time and if she wants to go even further it would be a pain in the arse. I mean, her commute isn't long to the Luas and back but longer trips would be a pain, they are very slow to charge at chargers too and older ones would take the same time for even shorter range, I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy.

You just can't beat filling up in 2 or 3 mins for up to 1100 Km range, you really can't and not having to worry about charging or extra planning and all that bolloc*s, maybe in 15 years time, who knows.

A leaf is fine for that if you have access to a 2nd ICE car, she doesn't and an old Leaf in reality would be completely unsuitable as a main car, even a new 60 Kwh one is a stretch.

+ she can't put a charge point where she parks actually as she doesn't own the space and has no driveway, forgot about that.

I've only known a couple of people with 1.5 DCi Renaults from that era and they don't seem to have problems but cars from 2011 on do have DPFs so I'd be more wary of them.

I have experience of the 2.0 DCi in a Nissan from that era, DPF and it was troublesome despite being only used for long journeys and getting the correct oil etc.

I'm not really going to recommend the puretech or ecotech engines due to the wet belts, I know most of the issues are related to poor maintenance, a lot of things are. But it removes a lot of otherwise good options, it's too risky and I know ford fixed it around 2020 but before that it's too risky.

manufacturers are really making a lot of crap these days and there's the Opel 1.6 Diesel timing chain issue that costs a lot to fix, the gearbox and all has to come out to replace it, absolutely nuts.

What about a Hybrid? Prius, Insight etc

• Advertisement

Yeah, hadn't really come up because they're petrol, not sure I would recommend, they're good but at high mileage things can go wrong, rather, with age more than mileage. Not sure she'd be prepared to take on that risk. It's hard enough to get a mechanic these days, don't know maybe the crappy to fix modern cars are making them exit the trade or maybe people are just keeping their cars longer ?

She wants a manual too, I can understand that, I don't live those CVT boxes.

Advertisement