Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driver behaviour

Options
  • 24-05-2024 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

An interesting situation has arisen locally to me and I said I'd make a post for people opinions.

Main street where I live has been recently redeveloped and as a result there is a 90 degree corner at the end that's a bit tight, not very tight you can easily get an artic around it but not exactly a motorway either.

Ever since the redevelopment there has been an endless issue of people parking on the corner meaning trucks, fire brigade, ambulance etc can't now get around and the whole street comes to a standstill until they return and move their car/cars.

There are big signs, double yellows, yellow box and most recently bollards to stop parking there but none have any effect, the bollards just push people further into the road. The issue has gotten so bad it has reached government level and gardai were posted there but even still their presence didn't deter people from parking there unless the gardai knocked on the window and said move (even then it was very reluctant, will only be a few mins etc)

There is ample parking 20m either direction of the corner and a huge carpark within 40m?

What is the boardsie solution, just for some fun or is this human behaviour now....

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Stick a camera up and fine every person who parks there. Until the camera is set up, have Gardai do walk bys and instant fine, no knocking on a window, move along please sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭mk7r

Are such cameras legal in Ireland though?

The gardai do regular walk bys, it's on the way to the station actually but the second they are gone the corner is full again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Oh to know where this Garda Station is. There should be zero tolerance...attempt to park and it's an immediate fine. A camera would help in this regard and I can see an issue with a camera monitoring vehicles and a public space.

With adequate parking so close it just shows/proves the selfish mentality of some.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I used to live in Bray and there are CCTV cameras all over the place going straight to the Garda station so it's not illegal. People are sh1t, hit them the only place they respect, there wallet. Hit it hard and repeatedly. Wave them on and they tell their friends and now their friends know that worst they will get is a bit of inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Gardai generally turn a blind eye to this stuff.

You could try some citizen action, just hang around for an hour or two, and challenge bad parkers face to face on their selfish action. You could put their photos all over social media. You could put a nice big sticker on their window.

All the options carry certain risks unfortunately.

• Advertisement

It doesn't bother or affect me at all really unless I get stuck in a huge line because someone blocked the road I just find the behaviour interesting, hundreds of people ignoring blatantly obvious signs to save walking a few meters each day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

This sounds an awful lot like main street in Tramore. Joke it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

People will always park as close as humanly possible to the door of where they are going. Petrol stations, they don’t care if they block the pumps when they’re not getting fuel.
    Disabled spaces ‘I’ll only be a minute’ ‘There was nobody using it’

My gym had to send an email to all members to ask them to stop parking in the disabled spaces and bus set down/waiting. Going for exercise and won’t walk 10 or 15 steps extra to the door. There isn’t an eye roll big enough.

For your situation OP, you can just hope that an artic driver without one fú€k left to give rips the side out of some arrogant sods nice car parked there with the metal bars of his trailer and just keeps going.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Are you new to Ireland? we don't enforce lots of rules, people know this and so they take the piss, knowing there wont be any consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Are you volunteering to sit on the corner photographing every offender and shame them online?

That would be great civic duty. Thank you for your service.

Post edited by Anaki r2d2 on

• Advertisement

No, born and bred, this situation I think is just a concentrated area that has caught my attention due to the daily disasters happening

Double post, damn vanilla

Its not but I have seen the Tramore situation and yeah the corner by Cahill's is a similar mess

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Footpath parking is out of control in Ireland and people get highly offended when you point it out. People park outside the local Lidl fully on the footpath to get a coffee in Insomnia rather than use the massive car park directly next to it.

I had a woman drive her car down the footpath in her car while I was walking. Asked her very politely to please not do that and she got all offended and accused me of being rude.

A neighbour had some people over and they parked their cars all over the footpaths outside our homes. I asked them to use the 12 free spaces right across the road (literally - few metres away) and they just stared at me like I was crazy.

There’s a new development down the road with loads of parking around the back of the houses but they all park on the footpath and cycle lane out front. Further down the road they park perpendicular to the parallel spaces out front and block the bus lane.

I had a DPD driver come racing down the street half on the footpath while I walked with my 5 year old and got thick with me when I suggested he slow down and stay off the footpath.

It’s bonkers the attitude of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

What hope when Garda park their personal vehicles on paths while on duty. Official vehicles are also parked on paths and cycle lanes (where it's not necessary to do so)....

Advertisement