Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The State of Music in the Mainstream!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Theres amazing music out there, it's never been better. So much good stuff coming out each week. You're just not looking in the right places.

Get away from mainstream Irish radio for a start… that's a busted flush (apart from John Kelly and An Taobh Tuathaill).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

OK OK so I can be accused of liking old school music but I will say Taylor Swift is OK [she puts a lot into her concerts] can't really name any modern bands I'm afraid. Arctic monkeys is about as modern as I go.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Really need to get back to buying albums on CD. Streaming has turned music into throwaway background noise.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I thought something similar in the past. I found that I was stuck listening to music from the late '90s and early parts of this century. I didn't tend to like what I was hearing on the radio or in clubs from.

There's plenty of great new music coming out all of the time. It might not necessarily be on the radio. You'll just need to go off the beaten track to find it Check out the Nialler 9 podcast or the All Songs Considered podcast. Both of those are likely to feature a lot of genres that you may not like but I'll bet they feature ones that you do as well. I find John Kelly's Mystery Train is a great place to pick up a wide array of music as well.

I do believe as well though that it's a lot harder to have the same emotional enjoyment of music when you are older than when you were, say a teenager. That's why most generations, coincidentally, think that music peaked right around the time they were 16 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I think I've actually had a revitalized engagement in music since I started collecting vinyl. I have all the old stuff that I loved but also engaging with newer stuff that is a bit distant to what was used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭PP Lee

8radio is another good online station for decent alternative and indie music. It’s run by Simon Maher, formerly of Phantom and TXFM.

Advertisement