Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mark Selby - The Greatest Ever?

Options
  • 22-05-2024 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭

Who would people rate as a better player between Mark Selby and someone like John Higgins for example? We used to hear that John was the best match player in the world, often called granite. Could grind you down and had ice in his veins.

But do people think Selby has surpassed him as the number one match player, or would Higgins in his prime still be rated higher. They each have 4 world titles, but Higgins got into a habit of losing many in recent years, which has taken away from his aura a bit.

That still has little bearing on how he was in his prime. But I think Selby has surpassed him overall. I'd nearly go as far to say, at his best, Selby is the best player ever

Maybe not the most talented, but overall the best. I think he beats everyone more than they beat him, if all are at their prime, including Hendry and O'Sullivan.

The only one maybe beating him is Williams in his prime, his unorthodox style, pulling off mercurial shots no one else sees, to keep getting in first. But it's a low percentage game, and if he's not pulling it off Selby beats him.

I don't like Selby, and he has personal issues, in reality it has held him back winning more world titles in recent years. But when he's in the zone, he's probably the greatest there's ever been, his all round game and mentality, formidable and unplayable.

We talk about O'Sullivan, this guy beats him more often than not when they're both on it imo, particularly when the pressure is applied. I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves because people don't like him and find it hard to accept this. But I think it's the truth!

Post edited by The Golden Miller on

Comments

Advertisement