Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would my landlord send me a new 1 year tenancy agreement

Options
  • 22-05-2024 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Ive been renting a 1 bed apartment in waterford for the past 8 years . In the post my landlord has just sent me a copy a new 1 year tenancy agreement with a copy for me and a copy for them which they want me to sign and send back . I just want to be careful but I agree to sign and send back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

You don't need to sign anything, but you can only gain rights from signing, he can't make you sign away your statutory rights. Maybe they have just made a big investment and want to be sure you will stay for at least the next 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Because hes a fool. He gets nothing that can be enforced out of a new lease. You do. Does he have an agent maybe that are trying to add an extra charge to your landlord by doing up a pointless new lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Maybe he never registered the tenancy properly before, and is now formalising everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭KurtBarlow

But am I locked in for a year if I sign it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AlanG

When you get insurance on an investment property one of the requirements is that you have a rental contract. Try an online application and you will see it is a requirement.

While it is overlooked in many cases it could cause problems if there is a claim. This is the most likely reason for the contract. It really places no extra burden on you as you have lots of rights already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭dennyk

As you currently have Part 4 rights, you're under no obligation to sign a new fixed term lease if you don't want to. Your landlord can't end your tenancy just because you decline. If you don't have a fixed term lease, however, your landlord could end the tenancy for a valid reason under Part 4. They would have to give you 224 days notice if you're in the property for over 8 years, though, so you don't really gain much security yourself from signing a one-year fixed term lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The landlord might not have registered the property and wants to fix things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Yes, but not really.

You're agreeing to rent the place for a year. If you need to leave during that year, you can ask to reassign the lease (you'll find another tenant to take over the lease). If he refuses, which they all do because it's not in their interests for a soon-to-be-departing tenant to stick any old lunatic into their property, you can leave without penalty.

Essentially, it's all positive for you.

Advertisement