Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections...is it normal to have so little information on candidates?

Options
  • 21-05-2024 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I've lived most my life in Dublin, though wasn't born here, first time looking to vote, so am likely missing some context…

Regarding the local elections. I have been wanting to get myself informed about the candidates for a while, but for months there has been next to no real info on who is running. Grand, cutoffs were only recently, I'm thinking now that the candidates are officially announced there will be information…but other than a list of their names and which party if any they represent, there is still next to no info on them.

When I do research, 1/3rd have absolutely no online presense of any kind. Just names, that's it. Another 1/3rd have the bear minimum, like a one sentence post on Facebook or Twitter saying they are running. That's it. 0 info on their policies, their aims, their objectives, how they plan on achieving them etc. And then a handful of candidates have 4-5 short lines, or a paragraph with the biggest platitudes imaginable. "I'd like to see more housing." Ok….and? "I support a strong community." Meaning…?

They organise no public meetings to share their plan/vision, at least none that I have seen communicated. Only 1-2 go around the community groups, for a quick photo and a hello, nothing substantial of any kind (I am a part of a couple of groups, but not all…so maybe some attend the others?). When they go around houses, it's a quick leaflet drop, so I suppose they might talk to few more folks then. But the only thing that is produced and displayed prominently are the election posters, which are filling street after street - but again these posters have no information about their policies. Some of the sitting councillors list their "achievements"…something about installing a bench 3 months ago and replacing a street light 5 months ago. There are mass public service crises throughout the locality and throughout the city, what are they on about benches and light bulbs?

So come 7 June I will have absolutely no idea what these candidates really stand for, what they are taking seriously, what they are willing and capable of addressing. And this is after prolonged intentional research on my part. I guess we need to pick based on whose poster looks better? Or which party we dislike less? I honestly have no idea how this constitutes a well-informed democracy.

Is all this just normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Dublin Enquirer have put this (quite useful) tool together, just find your LEA and browse candidates.

Caveats, not all have responded, and some (looking at you SF) candidates seem to be using the same stock responses across the board

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DirectorKrennic

Honestly yeah it's pretty normal to not have the most information for a local election. In my local area the promises seem to be more national than local. I normally vote independent in local elections but there are so few running.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yes. This is super standard for local elections. Often, unfortunately, you'll only really find out the calibre of the candidates when they get elected and you see how they fare as sitting councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

OP for start look at the candidates political party if they have one.

You can then see what they basically stand for, what they support on a national level and it also gives you an indication of just what they will tolerate, condone, excuse and support.

Oh yes you will be told, especially by the party hacks around here, that they can't decide or influence anything at national level, just concentrate on local things.

But national level and the party HQ whip system will very much dictate what they do at local level.

For instance two FF councillors were sanctioned and threatened for supporting their neighbours and the local community in Connemara when they wanted to stop asylum/IPA centre in a rural village with no services in the backs of beyond.

The councillors left the party and are now running for Independent Ireland.

Also look at the history if you can of what they have done at local level, see what they have supported and more often not supported.

The old saying still applies, be wary of any and all political candidates as people that want power are usually the ones that should least get it.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 13 farmerd

Does anyone know if anybody is free to take election posters down after the election, to use for the Correx, in Hobbycraft??

I'm sure the politicians would be delighted not to have to pay for waste disposal??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some of them are still re-using ones with photos about 10 years old so I'd say not!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Homelander

Any candidate who's genuine and well intended it won't be hard to find out more about them.

In every local election there's always a good cohort explicably have no interest, don't respond to media requests, don't turn up at debates, don't have a social media presence, don't canvass, and why they run in the first place I'm not sure.

There was a lad in Galway one year ran in two different areas at his own expense as an independent and got a combined total of about 20 votes.

No-one even knew what he looked like.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭animalinside

Absolutely, this is all completely normal.

Politics is sort of a club that the cool kids go to, but it's also public so technically they have to let you in if you want to. They just won't tell you about it and won't mention it when you're around, hoping people like you won't get interested, hiding in plain sight as it were.

Even people who've grown up being trying to be good citizens and take an active part in society, trying to be interested in politics and to know what's going on, all often don't even know who their local candidates are. Don't think this isn't calculated. The elites don't want your demographic voting. They would rather lose a seat than be seen to be courting with the plebs and risk getting into trouble with their party.

This election is actually not as bad, you have youtube ads and the like. They're terrified of the unthinkable happening and what they call the "far right" to get a some momentum here. And of course these days you also have the internet so you'll find it if you look for it. Just make sure to actually do it and make your vote.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Politics is sort of a club that the cool kids go to, but it's also public so technically they have to let you in if you want to. They just won't tell you about it and won't mention it when you're around, hoping people like you won't get interested, hiding in plain sight as it were.

It is the electorate who make the decision on whether you get let in and I don't recall ever hearing anyone say they voted for XYZ because they were cool!

If you're referring to political parties choosing someone to stand then it is usually based on who has done a lot of grafting (i.e. years) for no reward. A lad near me is a FG councillor and he gets next to no pay for the hours he puts in compared to what he'd get for the same hours in a "real" job. He (like other councillors) do great work in the area and is on the BOM of local schools and groups. Is he a cool kid? Doubtful but he is a hard worker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭animalinside

I think you are misunderstanding my point. A lot of people aren't included in the political process or made aware about it, which is particularly visible in local elections. It's not in the interests of the parties. Think of older more conservative people or the working classes, the last thing the liberal elites want is to be encouraging them to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,055 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't think so no. You could ask the candidates

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You need to get out from behind the keyboard and get more involved in your local community if you want to be informed of local election politics. Local elections are like amature drama - it's full of people starting out or people who are only interested in local issues consequently the media, the internet and even the parties are not terribly interested in creating much of a public profile for the candidates as it is an expensive business and many many candidates.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

This is your second stab at it and you are still exhibiting a lack of understanding of the the process. It is not the responsibility of the political parties to educate you in the civic processes nor is it their responsibility to encourage voters other than those supporting their cause to vote. These are long established processes both in Ireland, other Parliament of Westminster style democracies and in deed most of Europe, so while you are free to make up whatever version of democracy suits you, getting upset because the world does not work that way is futile.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,886 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you offer to take down ALL their posters, they might be happy to pay you in Correx! It's a horrible job, and particularly horrible for losing candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I would like to see the cvs of the candidates....

What have they studied, what have they worked at, have they ever studied anything related to the job they're about to do, if elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, that would be theft.

Any politician intending to run in the General Election will want those posters, and they aren't cheap.

Advertisement