Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new front door lock

Options
  • 20-05-2024 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,342 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct category, it seems like the closest match. If not i would be grateful if a mod could move it.

So, the problem. I walked out the front door tonight to put something in the bin. I made the mistake of closing the door behind me. I compounded the mistake by leaving my key in the lock on the inside of the door. So even though I had a spare key stashed outside i couldn't use it to open the door. the key on the inside prevented me from inserting the key fully. In the end I had to get the fire brigade out to open the door with a halligan bar. by some miracle they managed to force it open without breaking the lock. Still, i want to replace it. My current lock locks the door when i close it. by that I mean you can only open it from the outside with a key. i always double lock it when I go out as that engages the extra bolts. same when I go to bed at night. i double lock the door. my neighbours door works differently. if she goes out and closes the door behind her she can open it using just the handle. she doesnt need the key. on the inside she can double lock the door at night using just a button (or maybe a lever, not sure on the details). I want to get this kind of lock but I dont know what to ask for. I want to know this in advance so i dont get bamboozled. i asked my neighbour but she couldn't remember the name of the locksmith she used. any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

Advertisement