Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours Annoying/Aggressive Dog

Options
  • 20-05-2024 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi Folks,

Just want to give a little back story first. I came home from Australia during covid and met a girl who I’ve been with since. We built a cabin at the back of my grandfathers house and helped to look after him before he passed away at 94 two years ago.

His house is in an old estate where the houses are semi detached. My issue is not with the house where the neighbour is attached but on the other side where there’s about 5 meters separating the houses (it’s a tight estate)

We’re saving for a mortgage and my father is living in the main house, the neighbours I’m talking about have already fallen out with half of the terrace including being brought to court by the people directly across the street from us. The husband next door went across the street and assaulted the other guy before he could get out of his car and broke up his car with an iron bar.

They had to pay €10000 and bound to the peace but have proceeded to fall out with almost everyone near them since.

They are also big Trump supporters and massive racists, participating in rallies outside local places earmarked for Ukrainian Refugees.

I pass them and have never fallen out with them but a few weeks ago they got an 11 year old Jack Russell from a relation who didn’t want it anymore. They already have a terrier cross that’s a lovely little lad that I’ve known since he was a pup but this Jack Russell is the total opposite.

This dog is highly aggressive to humans and strips the teeth and barks manically when anyone passes by the gate, the loudest bark in the universe too, has woken my father up numerous times but he’s too soft to say anything.

There’s a small wall separating the houses at the front maybe about 2 foot high but these neighbours think it’s cool to let the dog roam around the front yard. Everytime you pull into the drive there’s this maniac dog stripping the teeth, barking like crazy and following you along until you reach the gate at the side of the house.

They can’t walk the dog because he tries manically to attack everyone he meets and just roars the whole way up the terrace.

I text them last week to say it’s uncomfortable that every time we pull into the drive there’s a maniac dog trying to hop the little wall stripping its teeth and barking at us until we go into our back yard.

Said husband lost the plot, told me to shut my effing mouth, it was none of my business and so on. I told him to watch his mouth or I’d break his neck and things got nasty. He’s late 60’s and I’m in my 20’s so I’d be afraid to clock him and anyways I don’t believe violence is necessary.

Things have calmed down since but the dog is still out front, I know if I say anything he will escalate and I genuinely don’t want my name in the newspapers for smacking an OAP even if he came into my yard.

I suggested exposure to the dog also so he gets used to me but they said he’d take the hand off me. Dogs not microchipped or vaccinated either they told me. Also has no licence.

Has anyone got any advice on the situation? We will have enough for a mortgage in 6 months, we could sell the cabin and move in with my partners parents now but we have a two year old Golden Retriever and her parents aren’t big dog lovers.

Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Call the local dog warden for advice.

I am a great lover of dogs, but this terrier sounds overly aggressive and dangerous, if he got out.

At least you'll be putting the warden on notice about this dog, in case anything does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭drury..

Have u got PP for the cabin , be careful on that one before u go falling out with the neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Ted222

Grow a hedge or something on your side of the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,566 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Sounds like there's a pair of you in it, tbh. You went straight to Defcon III with him instead of approaching him calmly and politely. Referring to anyone's dog as a "maniac" in your first correspondence with them about it is never going to end well, whether it's true or not.

As others have said, I'd be very, very careful about escalating this any further unless you have ironclad planning permission for the cabin you're currently living in. They could make life extremely difficult for you in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 688 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Carry a bit of ham around with you, every time you see the dog, throw him a bit of ham. There isn't a thing my dog won't do for ham. After a few days / weeks, the dog will associate you with something very positive, and look forward to seeing you. I've seen delivery guys do this to great effect too.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

Our postman carries a bag of doggy treats with him for this kind of situation. He says the most aggressive scary dogs can become your best friend if they think they’re going to get something nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

NO ADVOCATING VIOLENCE IN THIS FORUM. DONT POST IN THIS THREAD AGAIN.

Post edited by Hellrazer on

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Wat u mean ?

You mean it's not possible to get it so they don't have ?

Anyway it's one to be aware of before escalating this dispute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

not possible to get for residential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Sigma101

"I told him to watch his mouth or I’d break his neck and things got nasty."

Are you serious? You threatened to potentially murder him? Over a barking Jack Russell? You're lucky he didn't set the Guards on you.

The big problem here is not the dog, or the neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,136 ✭✭✭✭Esel

we could sell the cabin

How easy do you think that would be?

I think the ham/treat advice is best.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

We have a Jack russell that does the exact same runs along and growls and shows teeth. But if you came in the gate she would run the other way. She just loves the sound of her own voice.

Ham / treats are definitely the way to their hearts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Btw, you'd do well to ignore a lot of the well-meaning advice here. DO NOT get caught throwing food at the dog of a man that you've just had a dangerous falling out with. It will end in tears.
    You're moving on in a few months. Just ignore the dog, it's a Jack Russell after all, and go about your own business.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

@Iscreamkone Dont post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,566 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Also, fwiw (and meaning no offence to anyone who has one), I don’t think I've ever met a Jack Russell who wasn't a little fookin' terrorist. My parents' next door neighbours have one and when he's in the garden he sounds like he wants to kill everything, but he's actually grand in "person", so to speak. I did have to have words with them about the barking when I lived there as they were letting him out at all hours of the night and morning (the lady of the house was a poor sleeper) and it didn't go down particularly well but I was polite and reasonable and at the end of the day they couldn't really argue with the fact that the dog was waking up half the neighbourhood at 4am several nights a week.

I maintain barking dogs are like screaming children, the people who have them just don't hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shaneb123

No he was in the process of climbing over the wall, shouting and cursing like a maniac. I told him to speak to me properly and if he came in I’d break his neck.

I approached them very calmly. They have fallen out with every neighbour in the place, me and my family get on great with them all.

I never told them the dog was a maniac.

Meant to quote you on my first reply sigma 101, we haven’t had a dangerous falling out he apologised and we’re on speaking terms.

They are a pair of fruitcakes, it’s universally known by anyone local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Nearby neighbours used to have a jack Russell that was very protective and would bark madly if you went near the house. One day another neighbour and myself had to go in their garden to look at a drain issue.

Cue doggie coming out going mad. Once he realised he hadn't a hope against these big creatures and we talked to him he came over for big pets, big softie.

This dog was beaten before these neighbours got him. I can deal with barking, almost every neighbour in the place has dogs and I have one myself.

It’s the overly aggressive stripping of the teeth and following you, trying to jump the wall is the issue.

Everytime you pull in the driveway you’re thinking about the demonic dog.

Just To give everyone an update, I was speaking to the wife over the wall and I just asked her could I come in. She said no problem, dog let a few growls but after a few minutes was licking my leg, I gave the dog a dentastix before leaving.

Like I said before I don’t mind the barking, hopefully the dog will start to like me. We’re going in 6 months anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

I predict you and the doggy are going to be best buddies 👍😄.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭JVince

People actually believe the OP?

Seriously???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭acequion

I'm really surprised at the many unsympathetic replies to what is a genuine problem, especially on this forum which I have always found to be civil and helpful.

OP, you keep saying you can deal with the barking. You might, but a lot of people can't and anyway you shouldn't have to. Loud, excessive barking is noise pollution and in every neighborhood in the world people are entitled to a degree of peace in their homes. This country has actually gone dog mad since Covid and I look forward to a more enlightened time when laws will enforce a stricter control of neighborhood dog noise and hopefully dog ownership. But that's another argument.

That you lost your cool with this neighbour is understandable. He sounds like a neighbor from hell and having to live near such people can be extremely stressful. You're very lucky to be getting out of there, but I pity your poor father.

The best advice you've got here and I agree with it is to contact your local dog warden and report the situation with this dog, as much for the dog's sake as for you guys right next door. Those neighbours don't sound like the ideal re-homing solution for a traumatised dog. Hope something gets worked out for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Freddiestar

I´ve a similar problem and can advise to write a journal of times the dog is barking, record it too. Then you can bring owner to court (section 108 of the EPA act).

There is a form you can fill out and give to your neighbour, then you ring the clerk for a court date and then tell your neighbour the date. There are other instructions there too which you would need to follow, I wouldn´t put up with it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭acequion

I completely agree that the OP should not put up with it, but from reading his posts I don't think that filing a noise complaint about the barking is the way to go.

In an ideal world nobody should have to file a complaint about an aggressive, barking dog next door because in an ideal world that sort of disturbance should be regulated by law. Instead people have no other recourse but to file a noise complaint where the outcome is very unclear, as in no guarantees after the stress of going all the way to the district court, and where in a case like theirs, the father has to go on living beside these not so nice people.

At least by reporting the matter [in writing] to the local dog warden the OP can remain anonymous and at least that way there is an official record of what's going on. Not ideal but a bit less onerous than going to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭corks finest

Sometimes and some ppl just don't care,

We've travellers over the wall 3 dogs

Incessant noise for hours sometimes

2 doors down and 3 doors down -

Settled Clowns exact same,

One Crusty was approached by my elderly neighbour last year about it ( awful feckin dog noise at all hours up to 11.30 at night time)

His answer to her about the whole fiasco was---- wait for it-----

" That's what dogs do"

That attitude prevails everywhere ref most , but not all dog owners,

Thong all these deadheads have besides having several noisy bastard dogs is- none work and afaik never did

• Advertisement

What in the story sounds like a lie? I’m not painting myself out like a great lad. I never understand people who comment on forums stuff like your lying when you haven’t got a notion of anything going on. Seems a bit moronic.

Advertisement