Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orkney Longliner 16 Sligo area location

Options
  • 19-05-2024 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Long story short, i have some boat experience and i owned a lake boat...o sullivan... So fresh water is grand... I know how to drive a boat and what to do and not to do...

But i pulled a trigger on orkney longliner 16 with 15hp 4 stroke..as i wanted to try a bit of sea fishing... I am aware that the boat is build like tank and will reach max speed of 10km/h i dont mind that at all...

Can anyone kind help me with location...where would be good place to start? I live in Roscommon so anywhere between Easkey and Ballyshannon would be something i could look into. I mean someone with knowledge can tell me where would be relatively safe to learn/fish on the boat?

I have all the safety sorted...but i am unfamiliar with the area... It has to have good launching harbour- pier and not waves for surfing... If possible...i can find the fish no hassle just unsure where to start...

Ps: have life vests, flares, charter gps/ depth /fish finder mobile (Spare)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭WildWater

I would suggest Killala Bay as a good starting point. Accessible from Killala or Enniscrone. However, the slip (at the pier) is Enniscrone is quite steep and can have a lot of seaweed on it. The one at Killala looks to have a more gentle gradient.

Killala - nice gradient, but a bit of a hike out to the bay. I'm not certain but I think it is accessible on all tides.

Enniscrone is definitely tidal and the slip is steeper than it looks here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

I know Enniscrone, its for sure tidal... When out its almost dry with sand and weed...i dont see anybody launching or retrieving any boat there when tide out...

I will check Killala for sure...

I honestly thank you for your time and advice. Have a wonderful day

Advertisement