Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

G30 520d M-Sport or an F32 430d for commuting in 2024?

Options
  • 19-05-2024 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey folks,

I'm at a bit of a crossroads and would love to hear your opinions. I start a new job in town this July, which means I'll be driving approximately 90 minutes round trip each day, five days a week. On top of that, I'll be doing some mileage on the weekends, so choosing my next car is a significant decision.

I've narrowed my options down to a 2015 BMW 430d and a 2018 BMW 520d. Both cars have less than 100,000 miles and come with a full service history. Given that they're at the same price point, I'm torn between the two. I'm concerned that the 430d might not be comfortable enough for long(ish) commute, whereas the 520d might not be as fun to drive.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Which would you choose and why? Or do you have any recommendations for a different car altogether?

Thanks in advance!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭ferg01

I’ve driven both for reasonable periods of time (albeit as rentals). I would take the 520d any day over the 430d. Maybe I’m getting old but found the 4 series to be too low and uncomfortable. Id imagine you get a similar set of toys in each too?

Have you driven both yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

430 surely has the far better engine?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

430d

Can come down to spec too.
    Is one better than the other spec wise?

Or maybe an F10 535d?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

The 3.0 Straight six (N57) in the 430d is a much more reliable engine than the 2.0 inline four (N47) in the 520d.

Based on that alone I'd go with the 430d.

Driveablility would be better in the 430d and it's a very smooth running engine.

Also I don't think the N57 is cursed with the timing chain issues as much as the N47

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭djan

What's your budget as I feel you'd be within range of a 2014 6 series either coupe or grand coupe. They come as standard with the twin turbo 3l in line 6 diesel lumps as in the x35d engines and are honestly one of the best out there even comparable to petrols!

They come highly specced as standard while feeling more premium and special compared to the 4 series (based on the 3 series) and IMO comparable with the g30.

Obviously the 4 will be nimbler but on a longer commute I'd give precedence to comfort, power, equipment and interior quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

It sounds like you are doing 20k+ a year. I’d buy a fresher car personally, keeping an older German car going isn’t that much fun. Watching the miles pile up on an n/b47 isn’t much fun either. I have been there, done that (and have ptsd and now drive a Camry - which if you live with the image is terrifically comfy)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭User1998

Should a G20 3 series be considered?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Wailin

Wrong on both posts. The N57 is not more reliable than the B47 engine. Failed rod bearings are more common than you think and it also suffers from timing chain stretch that plagued the N47. The B47 is very reliable with no known major flaws.

Post edited by Wailin on

• Advertisement

The 2015 430d is the older F model and it has a fairly dated interior while the 2018 520d is the G series with a massive improvement in interior quality over the F10/11 that preceded it.

I'd have the 5 series, much nicer place to sit, modern and more comfortable to drive if doing a lot of km's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Ive owned the combination of the best of what you're looking for, a 530d. It was an f10 2014. I also owned a g30 530e.

No way would I entertain paying the same amount of money for a 4 series that's less comfortable, less space, small back seat room, 3 years older, a previous generation car with a much more dated interior just for the 30d engine over the 20d. I've never actually owned a 20d BMW but in between the 530d and 530e I had a 2.0 tdi A6 and didn't really miss the 30d engine. I assume the 20d is just as good an engine as the Audi.

I would need a huge price difference to even consider it. The engine is just not worth it, it's a better engine but you can't use it to it's potential to make it anything like good value in your comparison here.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭frank730

not familiar with different engine codes, is 2019 520d engine reliable?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

we’ve a 2019 520d with 82k km on it. It has needed nothing outside of standard services.

Advertisement