Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortice Latch Advice

Options
  • 18-05-2024 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I’m changing the swing on the door in a bedroom. I need to replace all the doors upstairs so I’ll do that at another stage.

I was hoping I could just remove and turn around the latch (in case I’ve gotten that wrong - the bit that sits into the stationary hole on the other side so the door closes).

It’s a very old model. There’s a screw which I’ve underdone but nothing comes apart.

There are also these nibs that seem to secure it. They’re not easily releasing for me.

Any advice? Will I cut these off with a dremel or what should I do? I want to avoid buying a new latch if I can but if I have to I have to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, does the faceplate come off, perhaps that's holding it all together. But yea, it should otherwise be possible to complete as you planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭karlitob

so sorry everyone. A hammer did the job.

Couldn’t fix the latch. There were four interlocking small brass plates held by a pin that was peened. Gave it a lash turning it around but it’s a mess. The door has never been closed anyway so I’ll just horse the latch in and hope it gives us no trouble until we change the doors.

What a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Doolittle51

They usually come apart easy enough once you take the screw out. They're designed to be reversible.

When replacing them, I'd recommend Yale, far superior than basta or the other cheap brands. Yale are a bit more expensive but worth it. Might find them online, usually as cheap as you'd buy an equivalent basta in woodies.

Advertisement