Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on gift for brother's wedding

Options
  • 18-05-2024 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭

We will be attending my brother's wedding as a family of 4 (2 kids)

We won't be staying over due to accessibility issues. The venue claim to be fully accessible but after a visit we realised it's a disaster however we will manage for the few hours.

How much would be acceptable to give as a gift?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

So you are not close?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

You'll get a very broad set of answers here from a €100 to numbers that nearly have more zeros. My last wedding was my sisters and my parents advised me that €200 is enough so I went with that. I'm single though so maybe more for a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Why does everyone think the gift must be money?

You could buy them an actual gift.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I'm not sure. I thought it was the normal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,370 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Without being smart.

I think it really depends on what you can afford.

People can give their sibling any amount of cash up to €1000 but I think about €250 - €500 is common.

You could also look into giving a gift or voucher but it should be something they like and will be some way useful.

People Cam also just be overly helpful before, during ans after the wedding.

Don't get yourself into difficuly or debt tough discuss it with family all families are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Notmything

Why does accessibility impact the size of the gift?

When my brother got married I got them a voucher for a holiday break, €200.

They lived together so didn't need a toaster or that and I don't like giving money.

What made you think it did?

I was just explaining the situation.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Otherwise you'd have a good handle of the costs per person, the kind of numbers they are working with and how much cash they are expecting to get from guests to offset the costs….

Would someone getting married discuss how much they expect from a guest with the guest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 gracemarie

Hi there,

I work in the wedding business and I suppose the average amount would be around €200 for a family. My brother is getting married soon and we'll give €250 but if we couldn't afford it, I'd give what I could. It depends on what you're able to give, you should never feel like you have to give a certain amount.

Cash is most definitely preferred by couples but if you don't want to give money, you could get a voucher for a place you know they enjoy going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gracemarie

No, that would not be the norm at all to discuss money they expect to receive from each guest

I didn't think so. I don't discuss the financial part of their big day. I'm happy to share their day and even though it will be tough on us we will make the effort to attend

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

No, but then again according to your first post:

We will be attending my brother's wedding as a family of 4 (2 kids)

So in this case yes they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Notmything

Since you mentioned it in a discussion on how much of a gift to give, it would be fair to assume you were linking them. Otherwise why mention it.

Its your brother, give what you think is right, if you're v close then maybe give more than if you can't stand each other or don't.

Advertisement