Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia-Ukraine War (Threadbanned in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

They've had 3 years to find an exploit.

Everything has a vulnerability

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Field east

the more he wants for the front line the HARDERIt will be for him to get them. Is that not logical ? Do’nt tell me that the reports from the front lines are all bbout how WONDERFUL it all is out there as they -those that survive of course- trip over / zig zag through their dead/badly injured comrades going back to behind the lines for their daily rest/food/ medical attention

The true picture surely is reported via mobiles and word of mouth from those that have finished their stint/ return for holidays a!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

With the current Russian attacks in the north, pretty much every Ukrainian active unit and reserve is positioned on the front line.

This leaves no operational flexibility for them to respond to opportunities or different new attack. It means that much of the fall back positions are empty of soldiers.

They can't win by being starved of men and also weaponry.

People want it to be nice but not accept the horrible nature of war.

Help Ukraine do what it must to win, but no one seems to want to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭macraignil

Do you have a source you would like to share that confirms your statement that "pretty much every Ukrainian active unit is positioned on the front line…"

Sounds more like typical kremlin sponsored ruzzia is too strong to fight so just give up now nonsense to me. Oh and I asked you a few posts back what you meant when you said the West had "rolled over" if you would like to explain that nonsensical pro putin slur as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭zerosquared

For a country with “unlimited manpower” here is a video of them grabbing men from the streets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,792 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The President of Georgia has vetoed Georgia Dream's foreign agents law. It's an entirely symbolic act though since the GD controlled parliament can now overrule her veto.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,792 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Ethnic minorities as usual. Shame they don't do this sort of thing around the more prosperous areas of Moscow and St Petersburg.

only a matter of time, Putin just formed the Moscow and StPetersburg military districts who will “recruit” from these area

Funnily enough we are now seeing Russians running low on equipment so the Muscovites will endup attacking machine guns on Chinese golf carts and on foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/122153482#Comment_122153482/

@macraignil

You won't have heard of him but a man named Kyrylo Budanov was talking about it, while you will just say he is a Kremlin hack, per usual, his job and experience gives weight to his statement, for others reading this he is the Chief of Ukrainian military intelligence.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/russia-ukraine-kharkiv.html

It's a bizarre thread in many ways but one of the surest ways to be called a Kremlin bot is to quote Ukrainian leadership stating bluntly that they need a lot more.

I've often said that European States should have moved towards a war economy and war effort in response to this, that Russian allies like Hamas, Hezbollah, Houthis and Iran should have faced severe and brutal consequences, not pussy footing.

That there is a real risk of a multi faceted war being fought against a host from Russia to China.

People should listen to Zelensky and the Ukrainian military leadership sometimes as well rather than their Twitter circle jerk which helps no one.

Ye either want to win it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Posting links appears to be a tricky business these days.

Anyhow, MSN reports that a new French 'FRAN' unit is in the process of being assembled. The training is mostly recon work, but, it does state the blueprint for it has been put together with Ukraine in mind. If Europe does send support units to Ukraine, it would most likely be to defend cities and civilian areas. Thus freeing up AFU's other units for the east line.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world/france-trains-elite-recon-unit-for-possible-ukraine-deployment/ar-BB1mC1g8?ocid=socialshare&pc=U531&cvid=69b272369d464411a33144c9466ca06e&ei=32

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I read earlier today there are approx. 250,000 18-60 year old Ukrainian males in Germany alone at the moment.

I personally am not in favour of forcing people back to fight, but I also had no idea of the scale of it..

https://www1.wdr.de/nachrichten/ukraine-mobilisierungsgesetz-100.html

ffs we back to that subject which is a red herring as men without equipment and ammo are dead men walking (as Russians are finding out at a rate of 1600 per day)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's daft. What's the point of having a veto that can be vetoed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

it was an agreed strategy by the west. Pathetic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭zv2

Protesting in the street is no good. They need to get out there with petrol bombs. Burn down the police stations, take their guns, start killing everything that smells of Russian influence. They need a day of fury and Molotov cocktails.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Polar101

It's similar to having presidential elections in Russia.

Looks pretty bad for Georgia now.

Well the Russian offensive starting to look like a flopnik

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Why is this subject a red herring? Army personnel get training, those joining up are not going to be thrown in at the deep end by the UAF with little or no training or equipment. Are you accusing Zelensky, his generals and Ukrainian soldiers of raising red herrings?

Please explain further your rationale.

Because right now the underlying primary issue is weapons, technology and ammo for existing 1 million+ in Ukraines armed forces

The issue of manpower is at best a secondary issue and is being solved by new mobilisation laws, but will be months (after hopefully good training) before results are seen

Some how people have fallen for the Russian narratives that all it will take to win this war is throwing wave after wave of badly armed and trained meat is how this war will be won for Russia

Who's fallen for that narrative? And how can Ukraine mobilise new recruits if many have fled? Nothing is more guaranteed to undermine civil morale if lack of fairness is detected. I don't believe that Ukraine is crying wolf as regards burnout and losses of manpower.

• Advertisement

They are literally in a middle of a mobilisation wave after recent lowering of age and other laws, not that it’s important right now as it be months before these are trained.

Throwing fresh meat without equipment and ammo into a meat grinder won’t win wars (and damage the all important morale)

It’s an issue but very much secondary (no military will ever say they have enough of anything) hence the constant noise about it is a distraction at best, furthers Russian propaganda talking points at worst.

It’s up to those men (and their families) who left Ukraine to decide what they do for their country, seeing how so many willingly signed up while Russians are being pushed into attacks with barrier troops to their rear is precisely one of the reasons Ukraine will win this war.

Having untrained, unwilling and under armed soldiers would lead to disaster.

I think it was Zalushniy who said that it’s important for soldiers to know they won’t be wasted for nothing and will be well trained and armed. So it goes back to us in west offering as much aid and training and equipment and intel as possible.
    Ukraine has no hope of winning if they reduce themselves to the same stupid and cruel tactics as Russians

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭macraignil

The article you link to requires a sign up or subscription to read which I am not going to do, but thank you for trying to back up your statement. I have heard of a Budanov in Ukrainian military intelligence and as someone in that position I would apply a high level of skepticism to any statements from him as they could well be intended as a way to miss direct their enemies. I would be very surprised to hear anyone in the leadership positions in Ukraine coming out with a statement that everything is fine and the war is not a problem for them so I'm sure you could find more statements from the Ukrainian side that would paint a bleak picture for them.

In spite of what you have said I do not believe the "West has rolled over" and there have been many examples of weapons sent to Ukraine from the "West" being employed to reduce the threat from putin's terrorists. More reassuring to me however are the examples of the Ukrainian people themselves hitting back at putin's aggression with home produced weapons including drones in the air and sea which have sent putin's Black sea fleet into hiding and kept the majority of putin's air forces operating at a distance from Ukraine.

I think there is a very real hope for Ukraine and its current population of almost 38million creating there own war time arms industry and do a lot more to putin's terrorists from what they produce themselves than what has already been done using arms supplied to them from EU and NATO countries. Just look at how it has gone recently for the oil production industry that is such a vital component to the economy of putin's empire.

Edit:

https://euromaidanpress.com/2024/05/18/pentagon-ukraine-hits-14-of-russias-oil-output-electricity-resilient/

Let's keep an open mind on the issue. If we continue to hear pleadings from the government and UAF re manpower, then there is a problem. Time will tell. Ukraine has no hope of winning no matter how much weaponry and ammo they have, if they've insufficient in the armed forces to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Whats up here? No doubt pass our way .. but shur we wont know anyway

A large group of Russian warships have left the Russian base in Tartus, Syria and are heading north of Portugal.

6 ships: 2 x corvettes, 2 x assault ships, 1 intelligence and one tanker.

Heads up Baltics! (unknown to me if that is the destination, but possible to likely)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Another village captured by the Russian army according to Sky News

Russia takes control of village in Kharkiv region - defence ministry

Russian forces have captured the village of Starytsia in Ukraine's Kharkiv region, Russia's defence ministry says. 

Russian troops are continuing to advance in the area, it added. 

On Friday, the defence ministry said it had taken control of 12 settlements in Kharkiv in a week. 

Russia launched an offensive in the Kharkiv area on 10 May, heaping pressure on to Ukraine's stretched forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Lately Russian ships are using the Irish sea channel instead of the English channel between Britain and France. There was an oil spill very recently in the Irish sea just as a Russian tanker had been in the area. Impossible to link the two incidents of course. But they have the worst maintenance record going of ships on the sea. Obviously as well there's two hoots given to western maritime rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

straight to the bottom of the ocean with the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Seems like big attack on Crimea has started .. lots on X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Multiple attacks by all accounts. Will be interesting to see what's happened by morning.

All Eyes On Rafah

Advertisement