Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hipster Cafes and Bakeries

Options
  • 17-05-2024 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭

€4.50 for a pain au chocolat and €3.80 for a latte. €6 for a small square of sourdough focaccia bread. I'm all for supporting local businesses but these hipster cafes and bakeries are taking us for fools. There's a Lidl 100 yards down the road where you could fill your basket in their bakery for the same price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,982 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Lidl down the road don't serve you at a table, nor have a nicely decorated premises, nor have the same staff/insurance/god knows what else requirements.

Luckily, attendance at said hipster cafés and bakeries is not yet compulsory in this country.

Off with you to Lidl if that's your preference.

If the cafés and bakeries have priced themselves above the market that's there for their offering, they won't be in business for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Yer no patsy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

€3.80 for a latte is about standard in a cafe in dublin, i'd guess, hipster or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

not the only place ripping us off. I often go into Centra. I buy the coffee which I like, 'frank & honest', I also go for the individually wrapped croissant's, usually nice and fresh, 1.50, not exactly cheap either but that's my choice, however, today I saw 3 in a bag for 3 euro. Thought ok.I'll get them. I'd say the little trick there is that they were yesterdays croissant's, , stale as Fcuk..I took one bite and couldn't eat it…. I'll be saying it to them next time I'm in there….Centra Celbridge,!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Comparing a cafe to Lidl is ridiculous.

Do you complain in the pub as well that you can get a can of Guinness in the offo next door for half the price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my local Baker is french and is a boulanger. got 5 croissants for 8 euro this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,982 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Flick a splash of water from the cold tap onto them, into a warm oven for 5-8 minutes and you won't know them from today's ones. Yesterday's bakery goods at a knockdown price are great bargains!

I won't buy those individually wrapped ones on principle because of the gratuitous plastic waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭drury..

Are they made with butter ?

The genuine ones are although there's a new trend in France with unbuttered ones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I can't get my head around some of the prices charged for take away coffee from casual trading (van/converted horse box) locations. It's not an expensive drink to make and overhead should be low.

I accept people can just pass up on the high price coffee if they want. Nothing wrong with Lidl pastries.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If people are stupid enough to buy at those prices, there'll always be someone smart enough to sell it to them.

demand will always seek supply.

Marginally viable outlet in saturated market with low entry cost needs to price high to be sustainable?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Quay_Koncept

I got a cappucino and a cake (choice of toffee donut or other 2 kinds of sweet cakes for about 3.30ish in McDonalds the other day which i thought was good. Twas decent cup of coffee and donut was tasty. Only weird thing was on the automated machine it would only allow the offer with a standard capucinno and not the large one. Thought they preffered selling the larger sizes!.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

€3.30 for a baguette in Bread41 - I get that Ireland is an expensive place to do business, but I'd be interested to see a breakdown of why this basic item is €1 in France and more than 3 times the price in Ireland. And yes I know you can buy a baguette for 70c in Tesco & you can get one for 30c in a French supermarket, but in an actual bakery they're generally a euro or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

It’s the standard in most places due to rise in min wage and coffee cups and I am in Munster so I don’t know what the prices are in Dublin but I’ve seen them more and be more than €3.80 even €4 in more tourist towns. They have gone up in costa and Starbucks very rarely you see coffee that’s between €3-3.60. The cheapest you get be to get an americano and add your milk in. The sol machine in dunnes is the cheapest you might get that’s aprox €2.50 use own up or €3 if it’s to use their disposable cups.

The only way to reduce it in a hipster and other local coffee cafes or franchised coffee cafes is to bring your own reusable cup if they offer that service and discount. Can reduce it by 20-35c depending where you go. You can’t get a takeaway coffee cup anymore in Killarney either you drink it from their own cup ware and sit in or have your coffee to go reusable cup to reduce the price when it’s their packaging cup is what is driving the price up aswell not just the bean they use, providing a service and the machine and other overheads they have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what are rent and rates like in a french bakery compared to on pearse street?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Dante

Anyone been to that non-alocoholic board games pub near Harold's Cross?

€12 for a non-alcoholic cocktail, €5 to rent a board game.

Absolutely wild, no wonder the place was empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Wait wait wait….you have to RENT the board games??? What?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,948 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 15,948 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They likely won't have to import flour like us. Apart from beef and milk, we are pretty crap at self sufficiency.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭JVince

Its a while since the bakeries in France were €1 a baguette. €1.50 is probably the minimum and certainly €2 is the norm in Paris suburbs.

But the main difference in price will be economies of scale.

The local French baker is baking hundreds of these every day of the week. Thus can buy in the flour cheaper, better utilisation of the oven and as it sells in such quantities, they can have a lower mark-up.

The Irish artisan baker is buying flour imported from France (the flour here is not suitable for decent bread) has the oven half full and probably sells 50 on a good day.

BTW - go to America and you'll think Ireland is cheap. Prepacked sambo and coffee is $12-$14

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

People need to cop on … I never buy a takeaway coffee., and I can afford it. I was cycling into work, 10 km each way, for 10 years. Brought my own lunch, no coffee. Garbage dumped at work, toilet roll looted.

Are most of the shops not buying in fully or part baked baguettes? Economies of scale can be found in Ireland. However, I don't think suppliers or retailers are prepared to have a lower mark up/pass savings on to end users. Consumers are paying the prices, so high prices become the norm. The only way to buck that is for consumers to vote with their wallets and not pay the prices.

The coffee market is totally saturated, and perhaps some outlets/locations are not viable. There was one opened in the old shop/garage forecourt at The Scalp, Enniskerry Rd Autumn last year. I cycle past it frequently and rarely seen anyone buying. It's now closed and For Sale/To Let.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭KaneToad

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Sourdough eh, hoist with one's own petard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭JVince

you can buy a baked par-baked cardboard tasting baguette for €1 or less in any supermarket.

Try a decent artisan baguette where the dough is made fresh each day from decent flour and without palm oil and additives and you will see why its worth €3+

• Advertisement

I know the taste of such breads are superior. When. In Germany and Austria I love their fresh bread...however in Ireland, price is not an indication of quality.

Advertisement