Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telephone Socket - Wiring Correct

Options
  • 15-05-2024 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

My elderly mother had her house phone die last week. I've checked everything and all seems fine. I plugged my home phone in but got no signal either.

Rang Pure Telecom who she's with. They checked the line and said there was no fault and it was her phone. Strange because mine doesn't work on it either? They said it would cost €135 to send out an engineer which I thought was a bit steep. She has a medical alert button connected to the phone line which is out as well.

I checked the telephone socket in the hall. There are 4 wires but only two connected. See pic. Is this right? Don't want to try to reconnect wires that shouldn't be connected! Any help would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Tow

Only two wires are required.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

I'll check this out….

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

only 2 are needed but how are you connecting your phone? Is it the same socket? The socket may be faulty so your phone when you plug it in will not work either due to this

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Just make sure its the same 2 colours at both ends!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

That is a very old socket which possibly could have corrosion in it. The wiring is correct( just two needed), it looks sloopy, but would still work. Is her medical alarm unit plugged into a socket elsewhere in the house ? Two phones not working in that socket and here medical alert alarm also out means there is definitely a fault on the line, either in that socket, her alarm unit or in the internal or external wiring I don't know how Pure Telecom concluded that it was your mother's phone that's faulty when there is also an alarm connected to the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

If you can, get a cheap multimeter and measure across the two wires with no phone connected. It should be about 48V.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭The Ging and I

Its not the normal telephone cable. Try L1 and L2 on the left side of socket, just hold the bared cables against the pins while listening to the phone. Failing that try all 4 wire pair by pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭con747

I logged a fault with Digiweb after a truck took the phone line off the pole and it was lying in my garden. It took 2 weeks and I was told the fault was fixed, the phone line was still in the garden and Eir just logged it as fixed! A week later they actually called out and put up a new line with no charge even though it was caused by a truck delivering inside my property. Keep at them and if they want to charge you threaten to take your business elsewhere.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Do you mean take out the two wires on the right and move them to the left? I bought a new cable as I thought the old one might be faulty and I had added an extension to it to reach the back room as there's only one socket in the hall. Funnily enough, I had connected all four wires to the extension lead and it worked fine!

Advertisement