Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zone open warning for partial alarm set only

Options
  • 15-05-2024 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Short version:
    - Partial set warns that back door (zone 1) is open when it is closed.
    - Full set activates without warning when back door is open or closed.
    - Replaced the wired reed/shock sensor on back door but zone open issue is still there.
    - Sensor is working insofar as it sets off the alarm when door gets opened while full set is on.

Long version:

Troubleshooting a wired HKC 1070 belonging to my parents. It began flagging the back door as an open zone. I replaced the wired reed/shock sensor with an identical new one. The open zone warning is still there.
    But with some extra testing it turns out that it only says the zone is open for a partial alarm set. For a full alarm set there is no warning. Even when the door is wide open the full set still works and does not give a warning when it should.
    I tested that the sensor is at least working when the full alarm is on. It triggers the alarm either when tapped or when the door gets opened.

I'm at a loss as to what could be the issue. Would have thought that a sensor or wiring issue would make it behave the same way for both the full and partial set.
    The back door has always been configured to be in both the full and partial alarm sets. Its set as Zone 1 by itself. The system was installed 10 years ago and has never had its configuration changed. We don't have the engineer code, but I can try contact the original installer if this problem is maybe something I can fix in the setup. Only other thing that comes to mind is that I had to replace the battery in the panel about 2 months ago, but this zone issue only popped up now.

Any ideas on where the cause or solution to this might lie? Cheers.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

First thing to do is test the cable with sensor not connected.

See if the zone is closed.

Then open the loop for the alarm circuit and try set.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bren4q

Thanks. I will see if I can do that next time I am over in a couple of days.

Just in reading up on testing for closed/open zones, I spotted an older post where you mentioned the orientation of the shock sensor cylinder and an arrow that needs to points upwards. I have this set wrong in the new sensor. I had noticed that the new one came with the cylinder orientated vertically while the old one was horizontal, but I just assumed this was a newer re-design and neglected to mention it. Apologies for omitting that.

I took photos of the old sensor and wiring before disconnecting, shown below. I see now the arrow on the flat end of the old cylinder sensor. The new sensor came with the flat arrow end on the bottom and the wires connected at the top (when viewed in this orientation). So I will need to go back and change the orientation of the cylinder on the new sensor first before trying anything else.

Old sensor:

Old sensor cylinder arrow:

I would of asked that but you said the alarm was setting in full set so thought it was a wiring issue as apposed to a installation issue 😀

Still wouldn't explain how it set in full and not in part.

Lets see how you get on with the sensor correction and then test it.

0#3 on the keypad is the user walk test

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bren4q

Correcting the orientation of the cylinder in the sensor has resolved the main issue where the partial set was unusable due to it incorrectly saying the back door zone was open when it was closed.

Partial set is working as expected now:

• when the door is open it says the zone is open.
    • when the door is closed it sets ok and then opening the door triggers the alarm.

The full set is still behaving differently like described before. It lets you set the alarm while the door is open and does not warn about it being open. Its possibly always been this way and is only being noticed now. I'm happy as long as both full and partial can be set and are getting triggered correctly.

Just wondering if the difference between full and partial sets for the open zone is something that should be investigated further or not.

The zone could be setup as an entry/exit zone or have the access attribute added which you can test.

Set Alarm and then open the door. if it starts beeping down then its setup for entry/exit.

If it goes straight into alarm then it may have the access setup on that zone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement