Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offered a contract but waiting on another offer

Options
  • 14-05-2024 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Was fortunate to have an offer from a company for a role, starting next month. They would like me to return the signed contract however I also have a final interview with another company that I would prefer, no guarantee on getting the job but will take about a week/10 days before I know. To be fair to the original company I don't want to mess them around and would like to tell them as soon as I know on company 2 ( without letting them know now ….)

What would be the implications of signing the original offer and then negating should the other offer come in? Nothing relevant mentioned in the offer on any impact, just looks stand with start date, title, etc etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Something similar happened me a few years back. Now it wasn't for any big money or anything but I accepted an offer and got the contract, ended up signing it after trying to delay as much as I could. The start date wasn't for a month and in that mean time did a final interview for a better role on a larger wage. I got the job and only when I had accepted the offer and signed the contract I sent the first company a polite email stating that due to a change in personal circumstances I could no longer join them. They politely replied and I'm delighted with the decision I made.

Could they have held me to the signed contract, probably, but would they bother wasting time and effort fighting someone who hasn't even started, not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Thanks for that info, very useful, pretty much an exact scenario. I will try to delay accepting for another few days and wait for feedback from the next interview tomorrow. I was thinking the contract would only become valid once you hit your start date.

Probably happens a lot more than I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,799 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It happens a lot. Some people don't even bother telling the first company.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,943 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You will most likely be on probation with the company when you start. During probation either party can end the contract.

Advertisement