Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinks in the 3 Arena, why do we still accept poor quality drinks at these events?

Options
  • 14-05-2024 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else has had the experience in the 3 arena that myself and my wife had last night.

Went to see Keane, great gig by the way.

Beforehand I went to one of the bars on the floor area, we were standing for the concert, ordered a pint of 'Murphys' and a coke. They dont seem to do Guinness, for some reason.

Well, the pint I got was terrible, almost flat. The coke came from DE-cantering what looked like a 3 litre bottle of Coke that was about 30% full, so flat. Took off the lid and just poured in what he figured to be enough into the plastic glasses they use at the venue.

Ok, I know I should have probably should have said something. But its the frame of mind people are in when you get there, you don't want to start bloody complaining. I do enough of that when not happy with services. It was the fact that my wife told me it was flat and warm.

My pint wasent too great to be honest, no head on it at all. They offered no ice. Price, for the 2 well below average drinks, 9.60 Euro!!

Why do we still stand for that rotten kind of service and complete contempt for the audiences by the organisers to think this is perfectly acceptable??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,962 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I think you've answered your own question there - you didn't say anything!

I get that you didn't want to be starting a row on your night out - but as long as people don't complain, they'll keep cutting corners.

Maybe dig up an email address for the venue and lob off a complaint?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I went to the 1833 club or 1866 club before a gig last year and ordered a white wine.
    there was not a great selection and the wine was terrible. Not just me, three of us got it and it was undrinkable - a first for me😂

food was just ok too

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Telling the bar staff that you dont like the drinks probably isnt going to achieve anything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭LastFridayNight

3 Arena is owned by the same crowd who own TicketBasterd. I think that probably tells you all you need to know; it’s all about the profit, and maintaining a monopoly so that they don’t need to bother with quality or customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,950 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Complain all you want because the people who own The Point don't give a flying fuk if you complain to the kid from some agency behind the counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

there is no regular repeat custom.

the clientele there is captive, no competition.

So they have zero incentive to be investing in the ‘customer experience’.

With the likes of Vicar St, Whelan’s, The Olympia etc….. there are numerous excellent / decent pubs within walking distance…..

Look at the Olympia / Vicar St….Brogans, The Norseman, Hogans, The Long Hall, The Lord Edward …

I stopped going into the Olympia early for pints as they never had enough bar staff and who they did have if busy never factored in who was due to be served next… look up from pulling a pint and whomever is in their eye line might get served You might have been waiting 3 minutes, person getting served ahead of you might be there 30 seconds…

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Yeah I get much the same treatment, sometimes I wonder if I'm invisible at times, no proper Q's. wouldn't go down to well if it was the USA. They cannot stand the Q hoppers!!!

So the 2.3 is owned by the TicketBasterds , yeah, says it all in a Nutshell. Usual bloody monopoly as we are such a small place…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The answer is simple, you can accept it or not eat or drink anything, or just not go to the show

I know a lot of people are pointing fingers at Ticketmaster, and rightly so. However, I think it's fair to say that you're unlikely to get good drinks or food at any major concert venue

Festivals might at least have more variety and value for money, but still gonna be at least 50% price hike over regular pubs (which are already overpriced)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The crap flat Coke poured from a bottle is probably because of the deposit return scam.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You weren't there for the drinks, the drinks were not the reason you will or won't go to the venue again in the future.

So as a rule, increasing the quality of the drinks will not meaningfully increase the profits.

So from a business point of view, why would they invest in increasing the quality of the drinks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Eat, drink somewhere else then go to the concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Same as prices at airports. You have no other option. As pointed out above the last thing on the venues mind is the quality of the drinks it won't stop people buying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,835 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I do wonder if that's true

I don't drink anymore at the Point, Academy, Olympia because the drinks are so bad (and expensive) but I'll still knock a few pints away at Vicar St or Whelan's

I know I might be the anomaly, but if they did put a bit more care into it I wonder if sales would go up enough to cover any extra costs they incur. I mean, I presume not, I'm sure they're analyzed it, but I can't be the only one cutting back, can I?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I do think your onto something there. If word got around that drinks were good at 3 Area for example it might give their image a slight boost in that they actually give a **** about the punters and peoplemight go to place earlier. I used to manage big nightclubs and some gigs up to 3000 people and when I put a bit more effort into drink/staff quality the reputation when way up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Surely the doors wouldn't open any earlier, so you wouldn't be getting anyone in earlier or hanging around later?

I suspect the organisers also don't want people turning up drunk so they don't have any trouble while everyone is queuing

I'd say one way to capitalise on people coming early might be to do a dinner and concert deal with the restaurants in Point Village. It might inject a bit of life into the shopping centre, which would be an improvement

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

I suppose not but I should have learned my lesson from a previous experience 6 months ago, anyway. It'll be drinks somewhere else next time. Come to think of it I'd say people know about this, there were no Q's at any of the bars there that I could see, certainly not much activity you'd expect for 10K odd people…or wht ever the capacity is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭dasdog

I haven't been since last year thankfully but the last three times I've gone I've sneaked in a hip flask, bought a bottle of coke, asked for a glass and ice and that does me. Unfortunately it's where Nick Cave and Fontaines DC are playing later this year but I'll stick to the plan.

Advertisement