Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Dad

Options
  • 14-05-2024 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

any idea what happens when a parent aged 70 goes Homeless ? do you have to inform the Guards ? or do you approach Nursing Homes

i can pay for upto 6 months for a Nursing home but im unsure if you can approach a nursing home if this happens

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In general the homeless person needs to approach the local council themselves for emergency accommodation.

If you are concerned about your father's welfare, including if you think nursing home care is needed, you've can contact his GP or the local public health nurse for advice. They can listen to you, but without his consent, they may not say much back to you. But they can advise about next steps in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Its going to become a bigger issue into the future as people renting are unable to pay their rents to landlords when they stop working and end up homeless

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No need to contact AGS.

What does he want himself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Alot of councils have small flats and studios for older people, they should apply to the council and see what happens. First place to go to would be the community welfare officer in the council

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Immaculata

Sorry to hear about your dad's situation. I'd suggest encouraging him to see his GP for a report on his health first, if possible. Your dad can then think about what suits him best, a nursing home or otherwise. And then I suggest encouraging him to go to the housing department of his local council to discuss his housing need. The medical report will assist there anyway. The officers in the housing department can help him apply for the housing list and get assessed for senior person's accommodation if he'd be interested. IMO the housing list for senior accommodation moves a bit faster than the regular one, partly because of the obvious reason and also because elderly people move into nursing homes or in with family sometimes and free up their council house or flat. The homeless outreach officer at the council will advise. If you can afford it and if your dad is happy to live independently, you could find him a medium-term self-catering option on something like airbnb.ie to fill the gap?

All the best to you and your dad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement