Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hayfever eyedrops & other meds - is north the cheapest

Options
  • 14-05-2024 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭

I find that prices seem to be cheaper up north, eye drops are about half the price up north and tablets way way cheaper

As I'm heading up that way this week am looking at Boots but is there anywhere other than boots people would recommend?

need to get stuff for my 10 year old daughter who suffers terribly with hayfever

https://www.boots.com/opticrom-hayfever-eye-drops-10ml-10173518 £5.70 but second half price at the moment. can be about €12 here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,297 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

In general I find semichem very cheap but there are a few other chains like Gordons that can be quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Anti-Histimine tablets are £1.50 in Asda.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,925 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If Beconase nasal spray is appropriate, you can buy the generic form in the Uk - Beclametasone - for a fith the cost of Beconase here, not to mention in more useful 200 dose size packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,799 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Iboprofin and paracetamol are about 40p for 16packs in the likes of Tesco, Sainsbury's or Asda. You can are limited to buying a pack of each per transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

actually have to get calpol and nurofen for the kids. Probably half price up there also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,799 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

One thing to watch out for is the basic tablet version are cheapest, buying the capsule version can be double or triple that price.

thanks but will be liquids not tabs

Is there is difference in the bottles?

Have gotten some he wrong ones on more than one occasion 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭thebiglad

If they have a store near where you are headed check out Savers - https://www.savers.co.uk/ can see products and prices online -if nothing else you can use to compare with the prices of a mainstream store such as Boots.

Wherever you go, it will be cheaper than down here though…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭gipi

If you're near a Poundland (there's one in Buttercrane in Newry), they sell 3 packs of 16 Ibuprofen or 16 Paracetamol tablets for £1 - you can mix and match, and you can't buy more than £1 worth (3 packets).

I found last time I was there that the supermarket packets had gone up a bit - especially ibuprofen, which was nearer 50p a packet (still a bargain compared to here).

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭intro

Gaviscon is considerable cheaper. There's also a version in a pink bottle that is not available down here. It has a larger concentration one of the active ingredients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,924 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Savers aspirin 16 is 29p, cheapest painkillers. Also check out B&M, Poundland, Superdrug, and the big supermarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 21,204 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Would anyone know if Chemist Warehouse down here is now competitive on stuff like that? My monthly prescription, was €60+, CW charge €27.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think the CW prices are comparable with say Inish Pharmacy (online ROI chemist) when it comes to OTC stuff.

Not competitive with NI prices but cheaper than other ROI chemists.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭beachhead

Chemist Warehouse would not be cheaper.

For the likes of paracetemol,ibruprofen,hayfever treatments,Rennies,cough mixtures the supermarkets own brands in the North are a lot cheaper than the Republic.Semi-chem is always worth a look.Occasionally products are on special offer-timing has to be right when visiting - for all shops.Comparing Boots Ireland and Boots UK it's 50/50 in a lot of cases.Neurofen Plus is def cheaper in Boots UK and can be closer to the Irish prices in Northern independent pharmacies-and smaller packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mandy2012

Have a look in Home Bargains, they do cheap hayfever tablets, wipes and sprays. Also if buying in Boots NI they have deals where you need to use a boots card so ask for one in store if you don't already have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Cameraman

Chemist Warehouse Cetrine anti-histamine tablets about 1/2 the price of most other chemists. Same active ingredient as most of the branded ones.

Was in Australia (the home of Chemist Warehouse) and checked out the prices there in CW. Box of 100 paracetamol or 100 ibuprofen about AU$7 or about €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Home bargains.

Generic hayfever tablets 59p a packet.

Paracetamol around 40p a packet.

Shower gel, deodorant etc all more than half the price you'll pay in the south.

does an irish boots card work in uk or do you need a different one?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mandy2012

No Irish boots card does not work. But when I was up there I just asked for physical card in shop and used it straight away and got any offers.

If you are doing a bit of shopping, Sainsburys is the same you can ask for physical card and use to get offers in store. They say you should register it on app but didn't work for me but I still use the physical card. Asda you can sign up with them online a get app and use online card.

Advertisement