Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone tell me what this weed is?

Options
  • 14-05-2024 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Can someone tell me what this weed is and how I might be able to kill it?

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Its mares tail AKA horse tail

Total nightmare to get rid of.

To save me explaining something that which has ready been explained well read this

https://www.progreen.co.uk/problem/mare-s-horse-tail

Doubt you will get the Kurtail Evo anywhere here but the SBK brushwood killer should be available. Glyphosate (Roundup) will work but needs multiple applications each year over several years if its well established.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tracim2007

Thank you very much, this is really helpful! I will keep trying with multiple rounds of weed killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭rje66

You could try Grazon Pro. Think it has same active ingredient

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭patmahe

Have a look at this old thread, I made up the mixture that mentions Grazon 90 and it got rid of mine for a year, it will always come back (its around since the dinosaurs) all you can do is control it - but once a year is acceptable. Heed the warnings about wearing a proper mask and gloves though, you don't want to be breathing this stuff in or getting it on your skin.

Hope this helps and let us know if you find something even more effective.

• Advertisement

This now fantastic, thank you! Would you happen to know how long you would need to keep the dog out of the garden given that it seems very toxic?

Another option is to do a monthly burn off of whatever mares tail is showing its ugly head.

Use the type of gas torch they use on roofing felt (for this purpose you can run it on Butane with a Jumbo regulator).

Something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Propane-Purpose-Roofers-Heating-Plumbers/dp/B0C5X35XLL/

depending on the area you have to do.

The ones the Aldi/Lidl sell for burning off weeds aren't really up to much (OK for small area).

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭patmahe

I think I read somewhere that its 48 hours but please don't quote me on that, I'd imagine it depends if you mix it stronger/weaker than that too so probably no exact answer exists.

Thank you very much.

While I know glyphosate is a slower method of getting rid of it I personally wouldn't be bothered about letting a dog into a recently sprayed area provided it had dried. I regularly spray our dog runs and our dogs normally live to a rip old age.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it just that patch? if it's under the neighbour's garden too and spreading into yours, it won't stop spreading into yours.

If it wasn't onsite already I bet it can in with the building sand those brick pavers are set on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭standardg60

No idea about Grazon but correctly diluted glyphosate I wouldn't worry about in the slightest.

Advertisement