Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weedkiller for Horsetail

Options
  • 02-06-2014 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

My back garden has a terrible crop of HORSETAIL. The regular weedkiller is useless ie gallop, etc. Could anyone help get rid if it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Roundup 3e - try Glanbia for it. Apply diluted 50:50 with a tiny drop of washing up liquid with a hand sprayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭jt69er

break up the horsetail first,otherwise weedkiller will just run off the leaves and wont soak in!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

There's product called Kurtail that's supposed to be very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

hillbloom wrote: »
    My back garden has a terrible crop of HORSETAIL. The regular weedkiller is useless ie gallop, etc. Could anyone help get rid if it?

Here's your solution

Grazon 90 @ 6mls per litre of water
    and Gallup 360 @12.5 mls per litre of water.
    So 18.5 mls of chemical per litre of water.

Will kill them dead...will kill you too, if you don't wear a respirator. A real respirator, not those paper masks. Wear gloves and wellies too.

Grazon 90 is expensive: 50 euro for 1 litre. Gallup 360 is 35 for 5 litres.

I've never needed a second application.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rondemole

Here's your solution

Grazon 90 @ 6mls per litre of water
    and Gallup 360 @12.5 mls per litre of water.
    So 18.5 mls of chemical per litre of water.

Will kill them dead...will kill you too, if you don't wear a respirator. A real respirator, not those paper masks. Wear gloves and wellies too.

+1 on the grazon 90 also good for reeds/rushes. could also add a wetting agent or some washing up liquid to make it more sticky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Teachm

I also had this problem and had a gardener friend help.he used simozene.spelling may not be correct.also he broke stems before he sprayed.took a few years to get it reasonably under control.apparently it's the oldest known weed and highly resistant.however just thinking his choice of weed killer may have been to do with that it is in a large heather bed and I wanted to save the heathers.good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rondemole

Unfortunately or Fortunately depending on your view, Simazine has been banned throughout the EU states, so you will not be able to buy it at this stage. there are a few replacements on the market, i have heard that Premazor 57 is good but have not used it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭FREDNISMO

Dicophar will kill them which is a weedkiller for lawns it contains 2,4-D and mcpa and it will not burn the lawn, it will also kill daisy and creeping buttercup

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Jimbo789

Can Kurtail be purchased in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Zardaz

Jimbo789 wrote: »
    Can Kurtail be purchased in Ireland?
    There's an old weed killer called Ammonium Sulphamate that used to work very very well on HorseTail.
    It's no longer licensed in the EU as a weedkiller, as to get a new license they needed to kill a dog in a lab to prove toxicity levels or something, even though it has the actual animal LD50 (toxicity) level of table salt.
    Its basically the thalidomide of sulphate of ammonia, plants take it in thinking it fertiliser and then starve.
    And it oxidises (breaks down) to sulphate of ammonia (true fertiliser) in the soil after a while.

Anyway, it can still be bought and used as a "compost accelerator".
    But be very careful not to splash any weeds when going to and from your compost heap as otherwise you might accidently totally wipe out your horsetail crops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_sulfamate
    https://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-diary/1989/ammonium-sulphamate-weed-killer-banned/

• Advertisement
Advertisement