Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerful Radio

Options
  • 14-05-2024 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm looking for some advice, my Dad lives in West Donegal and is visually impaired so really relies on the radio.

He was getting BBC radio ( the sports at weekends he enjoys the most) through his sky TV box but it has seemed to be removed, I've tried looking for frequencies to get Radio 5 but it's very faint and unreliable.

I'm wondering is there a commercially available radiothat would be strong enough to pick up the signal properly?

Any advice hugely appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Antenna

If he is happy to receive BBC radio on a satellite TV receiver, just get a updated one. Some months ago the BBC has made older satellite receivers that cannot receive HD TV totally defunct for both their TV and radio on satellite.

BBC radio was removed from Irish sky EPG several years ago, but I presume you had them tuned in in 'other channels' (awkward to access) or had a UK EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Where precisely does he live? With any luck he might pick up the BBC on DAB. The signal goes out to Donegal, but only to certain parts.

Other than that BBC will most likely shut down Radio 5 on MW within the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Thanks for the answers guys.

DAB seems like it could be an option , an inexpensive way to test for sure.

He lives in Gweedore btw

Just on the satellite receiver, what do you mean by updated and how would I go about that?

Apologies, I know essentially nothing about this kind of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Presume he has no internet? I got an Alexa for my dad, he just shouts at it to play RTE Radio 1 and off he goes.

Failing that, you probably want a big aerial more than a powerful radio.

Yeah no internet up there, it's a old family home that he spends half the year in, we've alexa set up down at our actual home and it's a godsend.

• Advertisement

Just on DAB , is there different strengths you can buy? Eg more likely to pick up signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Antenna

When I said 'updated' I mean replacement with a more modern one, nothing can be done with the existing one if I assume it is not 'HD' (It will not have a HDMI socket at the back if its not 'HD') . If you were only using it for free channels, a Freesat HD box for sale in nearby NI, or ROI (may be a bit difficult to obtain as its a 'grey import') would be more user friendly and automatically updates channel lineup when required (compared to a cheap FTA box).

Its highly unlikely DAB would work around Gweedore as opposed to areas of east Donegal, but you could try if a car radio with DAB works for it in the vicinity of the house. That is not a guarantee that indoor reception will then work without a connection to an outdoor or attic DAB aerial.

There are certainly radios available that would do a better job than most at receiving weak MW signals (providing indoor interference is not a barrier) such as BBC R5 on 909 or 693 AM/MW but its days on AM/MW are numbered unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭ei9go

Replace Sky box with a Freesat Box. Buy in any Asda , Currys etc in Th North.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

This is the best advice. There is zero chance of getting DAB in Gweedore. If your Dad has a smart phone he can also get BBC Sounds, the BBC Radio app which is freely available in the Republic.

Thanks for all the replies people, really appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Yes, I've looked it up. I don't think you'll be receiving BBC Radio on DAB there. It'll be the Strabane transmitter, but the signal in Gweedore would be too weak for any normal DAB radio. A yagi antenna on your house might do the job, but that's an extra investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,910 ✭✭✭✭zell12

If he is in Gaoth Dobhair, then he would love RnaG 😃 much better sports commentary then that other Dublin station

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭cml387

Just beware if using BBC sounds that Radio 5 is affected by rights issues for sport. I'd say the Freeview route is the best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,793 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

BBC 5 Live on 693 and 909 can be received well in Malin, and probably all over Donegal. Also Radio 4 on 198. But that set up has an outside aerial. Back in the day when there was only Medium Wave and Long Wave, and no VHF /FM, people were well used to putting up aerials to get the signals. Just as people are used to putting up TV aerials now. A radio with an outside aerial will generally perform far better on Medium Wave, than depending on the inbuilt aerial. That is how a radio becomes "powerful". But with those transmitters closing soon, it would not be worthwhile.

The radio in Malin can be tuned by anyone, just like it was in their own house. And there are hundreds of them around the world. Ones in England would give even better reception of the BBC. But of course they need the internet.

http://malinheadkiwi.hopto.org:8073/

Thanks mate, appreciate the info.

Considering all the info it looks like getting some kind of Internet in and getting an Alexa dot in might be the best option.

TThanks to everyone who responded :)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Get a Labgear VSAT02 HD Satellite Receiver from freetv.ie for about €50 to replace your SD satellite box and then you’ll receive all the BBC radio stations and talksport without worrying about geo blocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Rain Spreading From The West

Since you mentioned in your first post that your Dad likes the sports output from BBC radio, going the internet route is not the way to proceed here. Most of BBC Radio Five Live's sports content is for the UK only, and will be blocked via the internet in Ireland. As mentioned by others already, I'd replace the current satellite receiver with a HD capable model. To be absolutely sure the receiver will work with the BBC radio stations look for DVBS2 compatability in the specs.

That sounds great, I can't find on any of the selling websites that it includes radio...are you sure it does?

Would be perfect if so

Yes,it includes tv and radio! You just plug in to your existing dish and scan the channels! Great wee box not much bigger than a mobile phone!

Perfect, thanks a mil, this sounds like it could really help

• Advertisement

I got one for my mother in law as she lost all her BBCs when they closed the SD feeds and went to HD! She is delighted with it,shes mad into the police dramas on ITV3 and things such as Bargain Hunt on BBC!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I strongly recommend spending a few extra quid and getting a proper Freesat branded box. You want something with ZERO maintenance. If channels move around, you don't want the hassle of talking someone through doing a re-scan.

That’s true but one of them is about £ 230 gbp so depends on your budget!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Remember that episode of Laurel and Hardy where they were putting up an antenna (disastrously).

Obviously they were targeting Medium Wave with that antenna.

Well the need for that has been nullified by the invention of the ferrite coil.

But to pick up BBC Medium Wave from Donegal you would still have to do that.

The length of the cable is half the wavelength of the prominent station you want to pick up.

But that's 100 meters. A lot of cable.

Use a Twin Coil Ferrite AM Antenna instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Advertisement