Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finish plumbing apprenticeship

Options
  • 13-05-2024 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey all.., my son is looking to finish his plumbing apprenticeship as he is constantly being let down and improperly paid, and fobbed off, by his current employer. He is based in the Kildare area and is awaiting his second stage in college. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ffs we really need these lads to get trained up as fast as possible, the whole process is a mess, left up to sketchy employers, we clearly need a more state directed training process, similar to other european countries….

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Assuming your son is properly registered with Solas (check if he is as some employers are being a bit slow to do so) your son should have an apprentice co-ordinator / training advisor. He should contact this person as soon as possible - they will usually be able to place them in alternative employment to finish the apprenticeship if theres problems with the current employer.

Regarding the college wait - its an absolute disaster since covid - the waiting list of apprentices waiting on college places is about a year to 18 months longer than it should be.

I have lads that are only being called up now for phase 2 when they should be already in phase 4. Unfortunately theres a lack of trainers in the Solas network thats starting to get a bit better but its still quite slow at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 wicklowwood

Thanks for the advice. He is fully registered with Solas but its in his head that the issue is with the employer and therefore his coordinator cant help. I will try encourage him to talk to them again.

Advertisement