Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xtra Stiff Shaft - Ping Driver -Slice -Swing Query

Options
  • 13-05-2024 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

i got fitted for new ping driver and was recommended to go with x stiff shaft, my swing speed is circa 100-104mph

since i got it i am fading/sliding the ball way more than usual, i even put draw bias on the head and it doesnt seem to help

i dont think my swing has changed noticeably , my golf partners seem to think it could be down to the shaft, any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

What kind of ball flight were you seeing in the fitting ?
    Were you given a data sheet of the shots you hit on the day from Trackman or some such system ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I do think that the general concensus is that too strong a shaft will result in weaker fades and slices.

100-104 would usually still fit in the stiff category (but I'm not a club fitter so take everything I say with a pinch of salt)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Some good info here

https://theleftrough.com/kickpoint-in-golf-shaft/

But ideally you would go back to where you got fitted and talk to them about it

If they are reputable they want you walking away happy so should be prepared to give you time to have a look at whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Stiff/ x stiff doesn’t mean as much as you’d think.
    One manufactures stiff can be another’s x stiff. Some are stiffer in different areas.

Can just be a poor swing change that crept in but I’d contact them and see what they’ll do, chances are they can swap out to a shaft you feel more comfortable with. If your making a post about its probably in your head it’s at fault now anyway and the point of the fitting is to give you confidence in your clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

How long have you been using it? Any time I've changed driver after a fitting, it's taken a while to bed in. Have seen that happen with guys I play with too.

But if you are losing it right because it's too stiff, then I would go back to the fitter and see what they do. Or if they can shine any light on why it's happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 cosimocosimo

Thanks for comments have it about a month , got trackman feedback , must look closer at it, wasn't slicing on range when I got fitted 😂, gonna try more work on range and if still not working will go back to where I got it

• Registered Users Posts: 37 soverybored1878

As echoed in the comments above, a shaft in one brand could be a lot stiffer than another from a different manufacturer. Which shaft is it?

In my own experience, when I was fitted a year or two ago, the fitter gave me a stiff shaft despite my swing speed being more suited to regular. Wasn't sure at first but as soon as I got used to it, it completely changed my game and I grew into it and my SS eventually improved to match.

A shaft is essentially the 'engine' of the golf club and it's a big change. It'll take time to get used to but don't overthink it. Just stick with it, enjoy your golf and you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I’d be curious what shaft it is and weight, that might explain x stiff as it’s fairly unusual for anyone not cruising at over 105mph club speed to be fit into a x stiff. By any chance did you try that shaft after trying a few more so were well warmed up? Might explain it, you could have been swinging a bit faster as you were loose where as on the course you’re probably only getting warm after 4 or 5 holes.

As others said I’d go back to where you were fit, might be worth asking why you were fit into that shaft as the club head speed suggests stiff would be more suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Isn't the idea a soft flex goes more left and stiff flex goes more right a bit of the myth?

I thought flex was more about feel i.e a softer flex might make a faster swinger feel uncomfortable or have less confidence in the face closing before impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

This is a very good point. The flex alone isn't specific enough. I know I was getting fitted for a Ping Driver before and was fit with the Tour Regular and was told compared to some other manufacturers the tour regular would be towards the stiffer side of regular. I tried the tour stiff and straight away the shots were a lower pull or hook. What loft is the Ping head, is it sft / lst / max, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I was fit for a driver a year ago and had a similar experience. After confirming on the range that it was indeed the club, I went back to my fitter (my club's pro).
    He changed the shaft out for 5g heavier and opened the loft up by 1 degree. Took 10 minutes
    All good from then

Advertisement