Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the rent now taxable?

Options
  • 12-05-2024 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've been renting out a room in my house, not paying tax as per the rent a room scheme.

I recently got married and will be changing my PPR to my OH's.

Will I now have to pay tax on the rent from the room in my own house? or does the PPR not matter as long as I spend most of the week in my own house?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭downtheroad

"Your main residence is your home for most of the year and where friends would expect to find you."

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/land-and-property/rent-a-room-relief/what-type-of-residence-qualifies.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭gipi

Your rent a room licencee may become a tenant when you move out, you should check that out. A tenant has many more rights than a licensee (person who shares house with owner\landlord).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭Xander10

You will no longer qualify for rent a room relief. Tax will be payable on any taxable profit after allowable expenses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Firblog

As far as I understand a person can only have one principal private residence, is that not considered my main residence? - which would not be 'my house'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

The answer is yes, it's taxable. You could choose not to pay tax and take a chance, loads of people do this.

Interest and penalties though if a decision goes against you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Also, any future growth in value of your ‘old house’ will be taxable when you sell up. CGT

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Thats not quite the defintion.

e.g.(from https://www.auctioneera.ie/capital-gains-cgt-tax-calculator )

If you lived in a property for a period of time but also rented the property for a period, the gain that accrued during the period in which you lived in the property is not taxable for CGT purposes. Calculate the full gain, then you can exclude the percentage of that gain that occurred while you were living at the property. So if you made a €100,000 gain on a property that was your private residence for 5 years and rented for an additional 5, the taxable gain would be 5/10 X €100,000 = €50,000. If you did live in the property for a period of time, simply input this into our calculator below and we will take that into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I think you already know the answer OP. Your new home with partner is 100% your PPR. Keeping a room in your old house to maintain the licencee arrangement is all well and good until you get caught (if ever). But, in these circumstances, it can often be a jealous family member/neighbour or a disgruntled licencee who can rat you out.

Smart move then would probably be to say goodbye to the licencee - hello Ukranian ARP renter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Definitely consider your licencee as a tenant if you move. They will have all the tenant’s rights and you willl have the obligations. And you will be liable for tax, need to inform your lender and insurance company.

• Advertisement

Do you need to inform your lender? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Rent a room relief makes no reference to PPR. It states that you can have more than one residence but the relief can only be claimed on your main residence - if you are still living in the house which is unclear and you spend more than half your time there I don’t see a reason why it would not be eligible - it would be where your friends/family would expect to find you which is again part of the wording in the relief rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,186 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Consider whether you are happy to become the LL of a tenant, and all that will entail. If I were you, to make a clean break, evict the licensee and look into the Ukrainian scheme, €800 tax free, no tenancy, you have the benefit of having your house back whenever you want/need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,197 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Because they may want to put you on the interest rate they apply to a mortgage on an investment property, as opposed to a mortgage on a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you are spending most of the week in a house, how can it not be your PPR?

They may want to do that. I don’t think you are legally bound to inform them though. I wouldn’t tell them anything and carry on making repayments at the current rate. They will not come near you once repayments are being made on time every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,197 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

As to whether you're legally bound, I'm going to hazard a guess that the terms of your mortgage agreement, which is legally binding, do require you to notify them. I'd be astonished if they didn't.

(And of course you do have to notify your insurer, and you will want to do that, because you don't want your insurance policy to be void. Your lender's interest in the property will be noted on your insurance policy, so they may hear of the change in status from the insurer, even if they do not hear of it from you.)

I agree that you need to tell your insurers but I would not tell your lender.

I have first hand experience of not telling the lender.

Have you first hand experience of them finding out?

16 years after changing from ppr to rental I sold the property.

• Advertisement

Again, did the bank find out? If they hadn’t, did you check your mortgage to see if you were in breach of contract?

Just because you took a chance and weren’t found out, doesn’t mean there would have been no ramifications if the bank became aware you no longer resided in the home they financed.

The bank didn’t find out because I didn’t tell them.

From what I understand, married couple can only have one PPR, my OH's house is now ours; so I don't think I'm eligible to claim the rent a room allowance…

I suppose the easiest way to find out would be to ask revenue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That is correct. A married couple can only have 1 ppr.

Do your sums and determine whether you want to keep the house or sell up

Advertisement