Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewage smell in house

Options
  • 11-05-2024 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I live in a council house but it’s not my county council that owns them it’s clúid housing. It’s a new build and ever since since I moved in here(Nov 2022) there’s been an awful smell that smells like raw sewage. It’s really bad, stinks the whole bottom of the house up and lately it’s gotten worse. Got onto the housing officer and they sent someone out who just tightened the pipe at the back of the toilet but the issue still persists. I don’t want to be pestering the housing officer because they’ll probably just send someone out to do the exact same thing and the house will just end up still smelling of the whole estates shite and people on here would probably still know better ffs. Any help would be great.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭cena

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jack000

yes it is

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Could be the drainage pipes drying out and don't have a decent enough slope on them, happens more than you'd think. Happens in my workplace. I fill a 25 L drum and flush from the furthest point. Worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,639 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Have you tried contacting Cluid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

That can be dangerous. I used to get a smell, especially the first flush of the morning. I found an uncapped sewage pipe. Nonode how I never had rats. A fiver in the diy shop has a cap for it and no issues since.

I ended up getting a drain inspection camera to go from the manhole outside back in, bloody thing popped up and the man said, that looks like your I then tiles. I ran in to see his camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Dublinandy3

This is a massive possibility, it happens a lot on new builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SVI40

I'd exactly the same issue. It was capped, but the cap had popped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭lmk123

if there’s a shower / sink in the house that you don’t use often the trap will dry out and the smell comes back up, this happens a lot especially with underfloor heating and shower traps, make sure to put some water down once or twice a week if you’re not using it

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Citroen2cv

Could also be your soil vent not working properly. Is the smell coming from any of your sinks/handbasin?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yes, this would be a first step - can you isolate the source of the smell? A matter of sniffing all sink and shower and bath outlets, and around the back of the toilet (the pipe that was fixed before). Could be dry u-traps as mentioned above, or even no u-trap at all.

Also, have you opened the inspection chambers outside to see if the system is draining properly?

• Advertisement
Advertisement