Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oodles of noodles: a noodle thread

Options
  • 11-05-2024 9:40pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm creating a thread about noodles, as they do come up for discussion at times on other Food threads.

Discuss favourite brands, the wild array of noodle types available, and recommended sources, dried or instant noodle varieties, recipes etc.

Speaking of threads, I tend to prefer the thinner type for Chinese food, but not unwilling to have a fat udon from time to time (no laughing at the back).

This one is my go-to for Chinese style egg and shrimp noodle, Sau Tau brand:

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I've just cooked this noodle, my first time with it.

It's a pure wheat flour noodle, so doesn't hold much flavour, but very thin and cooks in 3 minutes. From Jia Jia in Cork.

After cooking (one portion):

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm really enjoying the mung bean thread noodles (Jia Jia, also) at the moment. They are kind of like rice vermicelli but with more bite. I really like the texture.

For instant noodles, I like the Nissin range. Love their huge range flavours and, in my experience, they're all good!

These ones @the beer revolu? I'm not a huge fan of rice noodles, as they lack any kind of texture.

I get these ones (less packaging) but I'd say they are much the same.

The texture is way better than rice noodles - they have a springy bite.

Top Tip for instant noodles : crack an egg into the bowl for a more substantial snack.

Currently eating Nissin spicey sesame oil flavour noodles with an egg and lots of wild leek, wild garlic and chives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭rje66

What are peoples thoughts on the straight to wok noodles. I use them, but find them flavourless. Mostly used to bulk up a dish. Are there better options???

I like them. Very handy and a nice texture; they don't clump. I tend to use the thick udon type ones, the odd time.

I think with noodles, the flavour comes more from the sauce, so it's mostly about texture for me.

I like the black garlic Nissin, must try more varieties.

When it comes to those instant noodle packs, I wish you could just buy the seasoning/soup mix on its own, the noodles themselves are mostly the same, and not cheap sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

you could make up a spice mix, and just use msg as the base.

I love making a pot of noodles and adding either a small tin of Kimchi (or some home made) and some leftover meat from the sunday roast

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Gary_dunne

I use them quite often as they're handy however they are very oily so tend to give them a quick soak in hot water to remove some of the oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

Im more familiar with the slithery variety of noodle lol

Her name's Bubblegum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Got these in the middle at Aldi 69c

imo a fairly standard cheap instant noodle but the flavourings are a bit different and are quite tasty. You get the normal sachet of flavour plus a sachet of what I can best describe as oily flavoured onion with burnt bits. Sounds awful but it adds the little extra that makes it taste less instant ;-)

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

It really does make a meal of it. Used to poach or fry them separately. I've just started poaching it with the noodles in microwave in work when I need emergency rations! Got a Sistema microwave bowl that is perfect for one portion. Nong Shim really makes a tasty broth. Way better than others I've had. Haven't tried Nissin yet though.

Think I'll put in a bulk order from Asia market for a selection.

I just stir the egg in so it just becomes part of the broth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

OK leading question ;-) How do you eat noodles? I have to admit to using what I call the spaghetti technique and use a fork twirled into the bowl of the spoon wind them up and avoid excessive noodle hang.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Chopsticks, always. There is no better tool for noodles, imo.

Scoop and slurp. Could never get the chopsticks technique.

Advertisement