Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How is the quality of Diesel like at the moment in Ireland?

Options
  • 11-05-2024 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭

I have heard of 4 people at the moment who have diesel cars that have got engine light and spanner on dash and injection warnings and 3 thats gone into limp mode and one thats had a load of sensors changed and fault still there - just seems a lot of coincidences at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I only use main-brand stations myself and go through about a tank per week on average and have never had any issues over the years until one incident a few months back in Cork where after filling up at one of said main brand stations, the car started misfiring and cut out when stopped at an entrance barrier to a car park shortly thereafter.

A full top up from a different brand station sorted it so I'm guessing a bad batch of fuel(?) but that said, I've not since filled there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Only had problems with petrol from a big brand franchise.. caused issues with various garden machinery.

No issues with the car.. might just have been the ethanol content that the garden equipment didn't like.

Diesel fuel & HVO .. no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

You mean "what" is the diesel quality like at the moment.

IIt's perfectly fine, the same fuel is sold in all stations, it comes through Whitegate refinery and George's Dock, and its quality checked rigorously. We only get one grade of diesel sold in this country, "Wintergrade Derv".

The only oddities would be if you had a station with leaking tanks which could mean water ingress.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I had a problem with my petrol either bad fill or didn't like the new fuel. Had tank pumped and really took ages to get sorted.

I don't feel the car runs the same since the bad fill. It's a bit better since I switched brands and use premium.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Grammar correction with a typo. A bold move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

"Bad fuel" is the go to excuse from dealers to instantly dodge any responsibility for the much more likely causes of mechanical defects that may involve them or their brand having to pay for the repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Neighbour of mine has a nine year old diesel car. Fuel pump, injectors and tank had to be replaced . Car still not right .Had only bought diesel in two stations in Ennis over the last six months

How is this happening ?

What were the results when the fuel sample was tested?

Hasn’t got around to testing it yet.
    He showed me what came out of the tank .You could nearly drink it , it was so watery!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The issue is with the car, not the filling station or the diesel.
    As Lewis said, it’s all coming from the one place.
    The idea there is somehow “dodgy” filling stations selling a lesser grade of diesel is complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Been driving diesel again for the last two years. About 40,000km in that time. No issues and have filled up at every brand and no brand stations.

With a second hand car, it’s a roll of the dice. The previous owner could’ve been running it on a shoestring, putting green diesel in it from a manky tank in a farm yard etc. etc.

The washed diesel of years ago seems to be long gone. The last major story about fuel quality was last year when Circle K in Naas put the wrong fuel in their underground tanks. I think about 50 cars had filled up before they realised their mistake and closed the pumps.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

There is many a slip between cup and lip or in this case between refinery and injector. When you have a car that runs perfectly for five years and then encounters major problems and has diesel that looks like water at the same time , you cannot simply say that the issue is with the car.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Wouldn't hundreds of cars be similarly affected in the area though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭mikeecho

With me, it was petrol, and I had two pieces of garden equipment fail, and neighbour had one piece of garden equipment fail, we both got petrol in the same station on the same day.

Neither of us made an issue of it, just got the equipment replaced, as it was all a few yrs old.

Sometimes it's nice to have an excuse to buy new stuff.

Also.. running alkylate petrol in the new equipment, as I don't know if it was the increased ethanol that caused the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Was suggested to me that the new petrol doesn't like sitting for a long time. Our second car doesn't get driven much..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Advertisement