Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard is it to fire someone

Options
  • 10-05-2024 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

I was wondering how hard it is to fire someone in the public sector? Say you knew they were dossing or taking much longer lunch breaks, could you fire them? Is it as simple as if you don’t want them you can let them go or is it hard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Public sector?

They’d have to have stolen something valuable. I remember in my time in a local authority a lad was getting work done on his house and used an order book from work. How he thought he’d get away with that I don’t know. They didn’t sack him but gave him the opportunity to resign.

You’d find it very difficult to sack someone who was just doing their job poorly. Half the place could be sacked if that criteria was used.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Marymoore

thanks for the reply… what about if you were skipping work and only turning up half the days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭standardg60

Make that three threads!

4 actualy..

go worry about ur own stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Unless they're relatively new, and whomever they're reporting to has had the minerals to refuse to sign off on their probation, the answer is it's possible, but will probably take ages.

That being said, if someone is literally not turning up (are they office based?) when they're supposed to, that might make it a bit more expedient. Is the person pulling sickies (6 uncerts in 3 years is the max), claiming they have COVID, burning up all their annual leave, or just shrugging when they're asked where they were yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You can be sure senior management already know and are unwilling to deal with it. You could of course ask your boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ted222

The answer is that it’s possible but it firstly depends on the will of the organisation to do so.

After that, it can be tricky if the person has been in place for more than 12 months. Underperformance to a level that warrants dismissal is a difficult measure to establish. Not turning up however is a fairly serious offence which could be escalated quite quickly if there’s sufficient interest.

It sounds like the individual has been given free rein over a long period of time and is taking advantage. It’s a failure of management as well as any personal shortcoming on the part of the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I've seen it a handful of times. They were managed out. Given awful jobs and no promotion or increments. Almost all left eventually.

• Advertisement
Advertisement