Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toxic Colleague

Options
  • 07-05-2024 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Please advise what I can do.

I've been in my job quiet a while, getting on well and performing. A colleague of mine has recently created drama and for some reason decided to plonk me in the middle, which has led to our manager getting angry and upset with me...the things that are being said have either been twisted to make me look bad or they are straight up lies, my manager has said that I need to cut off all non work communication with this person and as far as my manager is concerned its been dealt with.

My issue is things my colleague has insinuated are quiet damaging and my worry is that it won't stop, and I could lose my job.

Up to this point I thought we had a good relationship and I have confided in the past but now I know I cannot trust them but how do I stop this person from continuously being negative?

Thanks all help needed PLEASE 🙏

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,755 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Every workplace has some of these to some extent.

As you get older, you get better at identifying them, and giving them no ammunition. ( Or the pro version: feed them contradictory stuff and wreck their head before they do yours!)

Can you look for a new job?

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭tinytobe

It all depends on the relationship you have with your manager.

Try to reason with your manager, speak about your work, your performance and how much you like the job.

But also state that with this colleague, it's never working out.

If he understands and you've been there longer, you might be in a good situation.

If not, and your manager doesn't get it, a new job would be inevitable at some point. Would, doesn't have to but would if your toxic colleague doesn't stop from what he's supposed to stop from.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Stripes99

Thank you for taking the time to reply, this situation is making me so upset, I've now been given permission to work from home fully, and my manager has said they are dealing with this, he has advised I have no communication with this colleague unless it's specifically work related, these comments and stories have been detrimental and this colleague is unbelievably narcissistic it's scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

That's a complete cop out from the manager. It's a case of "if I move the problem out of my site it'll go away". Go to HR and have a record of the issue. Keep records of every interaction you have with this individual that you feel is inappropriate. No job should put anyone under this amount of stress. Your manager has said they are dealing with it so at some point ask where the situation is at because it seems like he/she is happy to just sweep in under the carpet.

Advertisement