Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Niro vs mg 4

Options
  • 05-05-2024 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Buying my first EV, can't choice between brand new mg4 or 2 year old MK1 niro. Both cost same.

Solo driving 90% of time, occasionally bringing 3 school age kids with me.

Niro is bigger, but will have 40k already on the clock and 5 year warranty compared to 7 on mg.

Which is better car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Sheedy234

I have an mg4 exclusive lr and love it beautiful car to drive. All depends on boot space you may need with the kids. The mg boot is not that big, I can't remember what the niro is like

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

Depreciation will be biggest cost of any EV. It may be less on niro. The niro is known to be reliable, mg is relatedly new to market, gard to know on reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭DrPsychia

Boot space is definitely smaller in the MG4. MG4 has approx 360L vs 450L with the Niro.
    The MG4 is a more fun car to drive but the Kia will have a heated steering wheel, heated seats front + rear.
    MK1 Niro has halogen headlights which are crap(MK2 Niro LED headlights are significantly better), MG4 LED headlights are better.
    Niro has vegan leather seats(partially ventilated with mini holes). MG4 has cloth seats.
    Niro charge port is at the front, MG4 is left rear(better imo).
    Niro has more tactile buttons.
    Niro won't have the annoying speed limit noise that's enabled by default all new cars.

Personally I'd go for the Kia because of the heated steering wheel and bigger boot space, with 3 kids I think you need the most boot space you can get.

You should take both for a thorough test drive and test the practicalities to understand which best meets your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭Patser

MG4 exclusive has heated steering wheel and front seats, also no speed limit noise.

But it depends what you're after.

MG4 is lower, smaller - similar to say a Focus - and as such a better drivers car, RWD, really planted and fun to drive.

Niro is bigger, higher, more space inside but FWD, slightly more roll.

My advice is drive them both and see which feels better for you, they are both grood options

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭yermanthere

We are still in the age of unknown battery degredation and previous usage/charging. If the vehicles have similar fit to your needs; Buy the newest battery you can. Simple.

And before people start. Yes I know we have moved on from " Leaf" times. But there's still not many 10 year old batteries knocking around. And with market and technology changing so quickly, it's best to buy the youngest model you can. In case you're stuck with it for longer than you planned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

FYI the last of the mark 1 niros, the ones with the new Kia logo, also had LED headlights, and some other minor changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Tge old Mark 1 Niro never had the new KIA logo maybe you mean the 2d old Kia logo instead of the 3d version they had previously? It's certainly never had the new current KIA logo which only came out a couple of years ago when the new Sportage was launched.

At OP check out the KIA E-Soul to and the Hyundai Kona.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, sorry, I meant the model previous to the current one, I'd forgotten there was an older model before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Mandzhalas

Left deposit today for 201, 60k km for 21k.

Advertisement