Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degiro reports are a fecking mess - WARNING

Options
  • 03-05-2024 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Thought I’d post this here to warn people about Degiro. I’ve always been a big fan of them, but I’ve just discovered a huge bug in their system that can cost you a fortune (and I nearly got caught out by it). Their annual statements that calculates total gains and losses simply doesn’t work if any of the shares you own had a stock split, eg. You used to have 1 share at €10, but now you will have 2 at €5 each.

Their calculations simply pretends you sold all your old shares, and then bought the “new ones”. The problem with this is now you’ve a capita gain on the “sold” shares WHICH NEVER ACTUALLY GOT SOLD.

I’m not the only one to notice this either -

https://www.reddit.com/r/DEGIRO/s/uTn90LTHBv

I then thought “since I can’t trust the annual statement, I’ll have to do it manually with their transaction based statements” but even the transaction statements are a mess. They don’t mention whether it’s a buy, sell, split etc. Some have orderIds, some don’t. There’s no rhyme or reason to this. Some transaction amounts are 0 when they really shouldn’t be etc.

So my question is, how the hell do I report accurately what my gains are :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Allinall

Surely you have a record of your own transactions?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 TabbyLongTails

Why? I’m using a broker, I’d at least expect that they have a record of my buys and sells that are correct

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Because everyone makes mistakes and you are responsible for your financial affairs. And if you can't demonstrate what you did then don't expect much sympathy if you have to make a claim. I'm not sure what I did, I don't have any record of it, but trust me will not fly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The legal situation is that the old shares are withdrawn and can no longer be traded and two new shares are issued. That is a legal fact that has to be reflected in the accounts.

The accounting entries should be the same as a sale and a new purchase, but should be described as a corporation action not a disposal for tax purpose and the unit cost of the new shares should be half the unit cost of the previous shares and possibly some additional fees (not common), is that not the case?

BTW, the Reddit article is not relevant because it deals with an ETF accounted for under French law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

i've said this for a while that DeGiro statements are not accurate. they do not take account of FX fees involved in any non EUR denominated buy/sell. So it over-states your profits. Also some extra fees/taxes (eg stamp duty for UK isn't included either).

I've flagged it to them and their answer was to go through the individual statements yourself. its painful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement