Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs/other fees on USA eBay purchase of china?

Options
  • 03-05-2024 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭

This seems to be a quiet part of the forum, but probably still the best place to get real-world info. I'm in the process of adding pieces to a vintage Wedgwood china dinner service, and there's a collection of bowls available in Arizona. Pricey, at about 60€ per piece, but they're hard to come by, and the seller has five available for immediate delivery (the only time I've seen that many in one place before is in my own dresser).

The basic eBay listing suggests that there are no duties payable, especially if I pay their all-in global shipping fee of 35€, but I'm guessing that's for the purchase of a single bowl (under the 135 threshold). Before I start negotiating with the seller for a discount on the lot, is there any way of knowing precisely what extra charges would be applied? Or can I rely on eBay to apply a genuine all-in price for US → EU delivery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭sceach16

Be careful! EBAY has a nasty habit of estimating charges but calculating them after checkout—ie when you are committed. As a crude guess , you will pay hefty shipping and import charges and Vat so expect 100 to 150% extra. Their international shipping programme is ferociouly expensive and inflexible.Tread cautiously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Thanks. That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for, but based on recent real-world experiences. You'd think it'd be straightfoward, but it doesn't seem so. However, it also seems like a lot of the bad experiences date back to the early implementation of eBay's global/international shipping programme, and it's become somewhat more reliable since the EU got just about everyone else on board with their "one stop shop" process.

In any case, I've decided the one set of expensive bowls can wait, because I think it's way overpriced. But the seller has another that I can probably haggle down to under the limit and see how that works.

Advertisement