Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer lingus 10kg "carry on" bag to drop off at check in

Options
  • 02-05-2024 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

So long time since flew anywhere really

Booked most basic ticket to Paris which includes free 10kg bag that they will put in the hold

If I want to bring it on the plane I have to pay now it seems!

Anyway, am more than happy to check it in but 2 questions:

Am I fine to have lots of >100ml things packed? At no point eg coming back through Paris will I have to bring this bag through security?

Secondly, how strict are Aer Lingus on the size of the small personal bag you can bring on board? The dimensions are very small, much smaller than a basic schoolbag sized rucksack - will they scrutinise this or as long as it goes under seat in front is it fine?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭KingFling

If checked, no liquid limit.

If you pay the €10 and want to bring on board, liquid restrictions apply.

Same on the return flight.

I've never had any issues with 'personal bag' size thankfully but there is always a first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Is there a size limit on the free 10kg checked bag or can it be any size case becUe it's going in the hold where there is space restrictions, unlike the cabin lockers.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ergo

I presume the free 10kg checked bag has to be same dimensions as a bag that you would bring on plane but not sure how tightly they police it

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭skinnyfries

I think they are more concerned with the weight, and not exceeding the 10kg than size of the bag.

Answering my own question. ..

I checked their website and it gave the cabin bag size.

Post edited by Kaisr Sose on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Iguarantee

My experience:

Cork to Heathrow: they assess the bag and charge you accordingly, 100% of the time.

Heathrow to Cork: I could have a live panda in the bag and they couldn't care less.

My opinion:

Whether the bag is noticed by the Aer Lingus staff, or not, is entirely discretionary on their part. I'd plan to put it in the hold.

Are you referring to carry on 10kg bag?

I was wondering whether there is a size (not weight) restriction on the free 10kg hold bag and if it's enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I was told by Aer Lingus check in staff to bring the 10kgs on board if no liquids.

Same staff at the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭appledrop

Unfortunately not we got caught out recently on a flight to Paris, and had to pay €30 to check it in! It was under the weight but not the right dimensions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The charge to bring my bag on board looked very cheap as I waited for almost 2 hours in Berlin airport for our bags to appear on the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I flew return to New York JFK recently (they still allow you to bring on wheelie bag for transatlantic for no cost), and my second small bag was larger than their dimensions by about 7cm or so and there was no issue in either DUB or JFK, many others had big backpacks also and no one was questioned. They are perhaps a bit more lenient for those longer flights but that's my only experience so far.

Advertisement