Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Democrats De Select German born Israeli citizen as Local Election Candidate

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The OP does not say Ireland has got deep rooted anti semitism. The OP asked if de selecting a Jewish election candidate was an indication of anti semitism.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nope. They asked if a party de-selecting a candidate who happens to be Jewish means that Ireland has a "deep-rooted antisemitism" problem, implying that it does based on the flimsy premise.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

https://www.catholicarena.com/latest/odonovaneaster150422

Social Democrats have no problem putting a British-born anti-Catholic bigot up for election - Elisha O’Donovan in Limerick.

They are a students union party, like the worst and useless elements of the Labour Party.

Politics in Ireland is SF FFG and Indo block.

Soc Dems are just grifters and no serious people would discriminate against people based on their place of birth/religion.

You seem to misunderstand what “Is this evidence of deep rooted antisemitism means”.

It is a question to promote debate. It is not a statement of fact.

After the War of Independence and beyond, it was constantly propagated by the Brits that Ireland was anti-Protestant.

Why?

Because, Catholics got equal rights, so it only seemed like inequality to those so under to it*

*In reality, Catholics were still discriminated in Protestant owned businesses and institutions in the Republic eg Jacob’s, Law Society, TCD for well over 50 years later of Irish independence.

Like the unionists in the North, white British Protestants, white South Africans, Russians and Israelis - what they call discrimination is equality - time they lost the oppression complex

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've shown how this is wrong. I'm not interested in your silly games so let's leave it there.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Respectfully, you misrepresented me. You claimed I said something I didn’t say. I’m not playing silly games just pointing out your misrepresentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Firstly, somebody being born in the UK isn't an issue for the average voter thankfully. The events referenced in that article point to some zealots trying to hijack the vigil of a murdered woman and the other seems to be a similar group taking a jab at LGBT people. Neither scenario is something the average Irish Catholic would approve of...

The thing is, it sounds more like conflating having an issue with how the state of Israel operates to antisemitism. I can think of Jewish people such as Naomi Klein that have huge issues with Israel's treatment of the Palestinian. A march for the Palestinian people is not antisemitism and attempting to depict it as such is just a lazy simplification of the situation.

“Firstly, somebody being born in the UK isn't an issue for the average voter thankfully. The events referenced in that article point to some zealots trying to hijack the vigil of a murdered woman and the other seems to be a similar group taking a jab at LGBT people”

Firstly, somebody being born in the UK isn't an issue for the average voter thankfully

Indeed, however, anti-Catholic harassment is normalised there, as seen in the North. Point is that she was educated and grew up in the UK. Someone from the US or Poland would target Catholics because of their religion.

“The events referenced in that article point to some zealots trying to hijack the vigil of a murdered woman and the other seems to be a similar group taking a jab at LGBT people”

Not true - she was grasping at straws

She stated at the time that it was because they supposedly breached Covid restrictions, despite the fact that she turning up to harass them was doing the same and that she admitted to breaking Covid restrictions herself taking part in a BLM march

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,429 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Just my take but anyone running in elections should be an citizen of Ireland for at least 5 years, most parties are looking for woke votes with some of their candidates selection

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ah yeah, but something, something, aNtIsEmItIsm…

The catchphrase of the desperate and disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

….

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2024/05/01/jewish-social-democrats-candidate-claims-she-was-dropped-after-raising-concerns-about-anti-semitism/

Her views initially were in line with the party’s support for a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, but her candidacy became “unsustainable” after she objected to the use of the Palestinian flag at party events.

This is very funny 😁

Inclusiveness is very important to Holly Cairns and the Social Democrats, just as long as it's draped in a Palestinian flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭trashcan

Except she was also Jewish when she was selected ( I assume she hasn’t just converted ?) so that doesn’t compute.) If the SD’s are so anti Semitic, why did they select her in the first place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Now, now…stop with that logic.

Repeat after me…aNtIsEmItIsM!!!!

Seriously though, anyone engaging in empty, hollow, disingenuous cries of antisemitism as a way to either score points, deflect, or just attempt to throw some shade around is only performing an extreme disservice to those who have actually been on the receiving end of real antisemitism. And the more it is used by insincere, dishonest, lowlifes in such a way, the more they diminish it.

Frankly, they are absolute wretches.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

If being anti colonialist supremacy, dispossession and subjugation of native people, vicious oppression, apartheid and now genocide is anti Jewish then there are a hell of a lot of anti Jewish Jews.

@jvplive

@BtSIsrael

@Mondoweiss

@taayush

@Zochrot

@omdimbeyachad

@btselem

@CJNVtweets

@TorahJew

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Ok we've plenty of home.grown problems but immigration is a massive issue for us and that's down to the state of politics in other countries.

Taking an interest (and a stand) in humanitarian issues in other parts of the world is essential.

You'd be complaining if the EU sent us 5k Palestinians that were expelled from Gaza by Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

I got some of those Social Democrat fliers in the door for the upcoming elections. Their platform is all about open borders for migrants, sanctioning Israel and all that lovely Lefty stuff.

No idea why anyone in their right mind would anything to do with these nutters, let alone a Jewish person who stands to be harmed much more seriously by this insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭JP 1800

The Social Democrats are a completely different animal to when it was set up 10 years ago. I was a very early member when it was first set up as there was a need for a centric party to represent the needs of those without any representation, particularly the working families. Very early on I could see the infiltration by ex Labour (who were decimated in the local elections) into the party who used their influence of numbers to vote in others to the party into senior positions within the branches. I remember being in meetings with Stephen Donnelly and could see how there were disagreements on the future direction of the party and what it was to represent. I remember bringing up the issue around rental accommodation and the effect air bnb was having in 2014, and I suggested it should be a policy to curtail it. Others thought I was mad suggesting it but I campaigned on accomadation issues in the DLR area at the time and could see what was going to happen. Others did not have the foresight and look where we are now. There are too many wealthy lefty personalities in the party and do not give a fook what is happening to the working families and care more about how they are perceived by their own ilk. The SDs now are a continuation of Labour and should quite frankly merge and get rid of the pretence of another party. The SDs had great promise but the opportunity was wasted early on and one can see why Stephen left, (although he made a big mistake joining FF). I left as an active member myself in 2015 as the party did not represent what the country needs, financially prudent governance which takes care of its citizens and those citizens in need, not woke self indulgent bs we see now. That's my 2 cents on the current situation as it stands.

• Advertisement

Their platform is all about open borders for migrants

pics please

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If a Ukrainian was uncomfortable with the Russian flag being flown by people in her party she wouldn't be kicked out for it.

Lot of people in the Soc Dems were very sore when Gary Gannon condemned Hamas with little equivocation, that he was being soft on the Jews and global capitalism etc.

Her religion is the defining factor in all of this, it's not on trend at the moment and the Soc Dems are nothing if not on trend.

If a Ukrainian was uncomfortable with the Russian flag being flown by people in her party she wouldn't be kicked out for it.

do you have examples where this counterfactual played out anywhere ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It is a left party for people who don't like the army links of SF and the presence of a lot of proles, for people who find Labour a dead party, existing only in paper in most locations.

A left party with more snobbery than most.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The would be a very firm NO and if you did a bit or research rather than trying to project you views on the national scene you might have figured out the real quesiton!

Not sure if I have understood your typing.

What, pray tell, is the “real question”?

Advertisement