Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting interior of house

Options
  • 02-05-2024 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

We want to get the inside of our 3 bed house painted towards end of year to include ceiling, skirting boards and doors. Walls are in good condition. Has anyone done that recently and how much should one expect it to cost roughly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Toby22

One of my friends had her 4 bed detached house painted last year, painter supplied paint, sanded, filled holes etc, total cost €9850.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Summer2020

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

2000 to 4000 I'd expect quotes to come in at

• Registered Users Posts: 18,490 ✭✭✭✭kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Absolutely no way should it be anything like that. Recently got interior (4 bed detached) and exterior done. Interior needed a lot of filling and sanding after new windows and taking down a lot of picture hooks - €1200. Exterior had a lot of scraping of loose paint and primer needed - €1500 including a stand alone garage. All paint supplied by the painter.

• Advertisement

That was an extremely good price, particularly when all paint was provided. In fact, it looks too good to be true. How many days did it take them?

Buckets of paint aren't cheap these days, surprised they could do it for that kind of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I forget the time inside but outside was 2 men for 2 days and a couple of hours on the third day. Paint was Fleetwood weather clad. Two coats. I've used them before, as have family and friends. They are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It's a totally incredible price even if it was a brand new house with no furniture or fittings.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dazzler101

I got a quote on Friday and they are starting tomorrow. Full inside of house, walls, ceilings, skirting and architraves, doors, wardrobes, radiators and splashback in kitchen at 2000e excluding paint. house is 120m2 to give you idea of size. purchased paint today it came to 400e. they are also doing a bit of prep work on the walls. Thought it was expensive at first until I asked around.

There's most likely €400-€600 euros worth of paint for a standardish 4 bed (plus garage) with two coats, leaving approx 900-1100 for the painter to cover 4.2 ish days wages, insurance, equipment, associated bills, holidays, taxes etc etc
    An exceptional price.

Last time we painted this house (Circa 2018) I think I managed to get the best price to around €1000 but that didn't include paint and twas six years ago. Next time we do it I'll bite the bullet and do it myself as I'd be expecting at least twice that as the cheapest price. I know at the time we were getting quoted 3 and 4K for the same job.

Roughly where abouts are you based?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Shibby89

Based in West Dublin so will expect to pay Dublin prices. I feel €2000 is probably reasonable. €9800 is a lot of money. As much as I detest it I think I'd do it myself if it was going to cost that much

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Whoever got the quote friday and has the work starting tomorrow has got lucky,was looking for work to be done on my own house recently was told would be waiting between 5 and 10 weeks with most painters I contacted,so decided too do the work myself as had some holidays to take

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Not if it's a massive house and the painter supplied expensive paint. There are a lot of variables that could make a job a lot more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭HBC08

Got our 4 bed town house done last year.

Doors needed to be sanded,primed and went from pine to white,3 bathrooms and all the bedrooms,living room done.Didnt do kitchen.

Got a quote for 7k from a dodgy lad I didn't trust,ended up being 13k from a highy recommended guy who did a great job.

Can remember the name of the paint but was expensive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Sono

13k to paint a house, holy moly

Unless it was Leonardo Da Vinci in his prime, that was a crazy price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Two bedrooms, two bathroom ceilings, hall stairs landing bannisters, all new skirting (so had to be primed) 8 doors, front door with side windows, porch, kitchen, living room, vaulted ceiling extension.
    €3500 not including paint.

Good bit of sanding and filling included,

South Dublin.
    The lads are working very odd hours though so it may not suit everyone.
    Im very happy with their work so far and they should be finished Thursday.
    They started Saturday 11/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭mykrodot

OMG! I am stunned at these prices!.

I moved to Kerry last year and about 6 months ago got the downstairs kitchen and sitting room painted plus hall stairs and landing (no doors, no skirting) . It cost €2K and I thought it was expensive - it wasn't a good job either as picture nails weren't removed , just painted over! However I knew nobody and was in a rush.

Fast forward a few months, I now have a terrific local painter. He charges €120 a day and I supply the paint! He has done all the internal doors and skirting, transforming the house. He is painting the exterior next week (3 bed semi).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Also just to add I was quoted 8k for the same job minus a bathroom ceiling by a painter who done a neighbours house.
    I found out the neighbour only paid about half that!

Apologies,that price included the carpenter who was doing a few bits,paneling etc.

The painter was 9k,this included all the paints.It was a major job as redoing the doors alone took a week.Every surface of a 3 story house was painted,except the kitchen.

Even still we knew the quote was more on the expensive side (and cash) but he came highly recommended from friends and family.We trusted him fully and that was important to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

9k cash 😲, probably would have been cheaper to replace the doors!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭sniperman

ive been painting/decorating for 30 years,i charge 110 a day,i can do an average size room in a day,ceiling,walls,door,skirting,..some rip off prices on here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

You're self employed earning under minimum wage. You've no holiday pay, sick pay

Think it's a 3:30 a.m. wind up post though

The guy was up front and said exactly this,especially with the new handles (which he also fitted)

We didn't want the doors replaced.

Advertisement