Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a scam

Options
  • 02-05-2024 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I met two guys in Dublin city centre to sell my electric scooter on Monday the 29th of april, I gave them my Revolut IBAN for money payment, they have shown me on their phone proof that they paid from An Post current account online banking, there was a message "payment successful" with reference number for that transaction and another message with my name and my correct IBAN with the amount of money paid but upon checking my Revolut account today I dont see any money deposited, I messaged Revolut support and they replied that they dont see any transaction in their system and to check with sending bank. I`ve called the sending bank and they replied that the account owner needs to contact them about the status of the transaction and not me the recipient.

I am wondering have I been scammed somehow, any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sugarman20

Yes, you have been scammed. They use fake banking apps to make it look like a bank transfer has been made.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It was a fake bank app, it's a known scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That's awful luck antesk. I recently soled something on Adverts.ie and when I went to do the exchange I noticed the buyer had a friend recording the whole transaction on his phone across the street. Clever move I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭tinytobe

When selling stuff, only accept cash.

If it's about a shipment, only accept advance payments. Only when the funds have been credited, you send the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

i'd only be accepting cash as one person said above. Its a pity you were done. In fairness it could happen to any of us. The scammers are getting pretty good at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭JVince

If accepting a transfer always make sure it is in your account yourself on your device.

Never ever accept someone showing you an image on their device. Aside from a scam banking app, you can create a fake image that looks very genuine in a couple of minutes.

So unless you see it in your account on your device with your login, its a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 antesk

Many thanks for replies, it was a guy by the name of Lewis Murray or "McCarty" from Sheriff street in Dublin and his brother, teenagers with caps.

+353 85 219 4838 is the phone number from which they called me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Sorry that you got scammed. Its a tough lesson to learn but the item is not paid for until you have the cash in your hand or can see the funds in your own account. Even then, with paypal for example, you need to be careful.

All credit to the people living on sheriff street but given that address I would be having the cash checked by a bank in case of forged notes!.

Many thanks for the replies folks, I have just been to the garda station and the gardai there seems pretty confident that they would be able to catch them and take the scooter off from them as there is cctv in that area of Ranelagh where I met them so they could be able to identify them and off the phone number I gave to the Gardai from which I have been called.

• Advertisement

I managed to find the location, its in Coolock, Saint Brendans Terrace but I cant go into the house to take the scooter back, only Gards could do that with search warrant or something like that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭horse7

How did you find the location?

From the conversation, that guy "Lewis McCarty" and his friend "Lewis Murray" with their northside accents said that they need 30min to get to the Devlin Hotel in Ranelagh where we had the meetup and that they live in Sheriff Street, from Sheriff Street to Ranelagh its only about 17min according to Google Maps so I figured they lied to me and did some calculations and figured its in Coolock area as Google Maps says that it takes 30min and since they are sort off street smart and they dont have the money so they have to steal and lie nor their dad drives according to them the whole family is problematic and therefore I needed to find a run down house in poor neighborhood within 30min drive by taxi from Ranelagh and Google Maps told me which area it takes 30min from to Ranelagh, I went there, found the run down neighborhood and sure enough I saw one of the boys entering the house.

Since the whole area has bad vibes, they possibly have friends, drug dealers, local criminals and I am on my own so I went back home.

I want to update the Gards about their location but so far no reply from the Gards as I have to wait to hear from Donnybrook Garda station who has jurisdiction over Ranelagh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Am I reading this right? They told you that they were 30 minutes away so you used Google Maps to randomly find somewhere that was 30 minutes drive and you were somehow right?

Brendan’s Terrace is hardly run down either by the way.

Editing to ask another question. 30 minutes from city centre as per OP or from Ranelagh as per later posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Luna84

This is a joke thread. I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Must be a good one to bother registering a new account for. I’ll stay tuned for the punchline.

I wish that kind of joke on you if you think this is a joke thread.

You havent been in my shoes to experience it and yet you are arrogant enough to assume you know everything, enough said from my side. I will just tell you that those who believe they know everything actually know nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK, let's not start getting personal folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

St Brendan's Tce is not a run down area lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Sorry. Nobody is believing this story. Have you got a link to your ad?

I dont care whether you believe my story or not or you have vested interest in the area of Coolock, St. Brendans Terrace and just trying to shut me down, maybe you are trying to sell a house there or have a business and you wouldnt want potential customers to hear about drug dealings in the area and teenagers running amock as that would chase away customers or your cousins trying to sell a house or running a business there but the simple matter of fact is that there and all over the country are teenage criminals stealing peoples bikes, scooters, dealing drugs, involved in financial frauds as fake banking apps are a serious matter as it involves using the names and brands of highly trusted financial institutions to commit their crimes but what else is to expect as they are not being punished and are on their way to a prosperous criminal careers and Garda either doesnt care, are helpless and they dont want to admit that they are helpless as they have to keep that air of authority and power about them, the whole state is simply overran with crime and something needs to be changed. Poor Irish investigative journalist Veronica Guerin gave her life to solve the crime here in the 90s but nothing has changed, it still keeps on going instead of being nipped in the bud.

I have no problem with disbanding the Gards as they are completely useless and state of the matter officially being as each man to himself as pretty much that is the fact although not officialy and we are taxed for services that are non existent.

Its like I am on American wild frontier but nobody wants to say so.

I gave 8 years of my life and work to this country which is fallling apart and I have been attacked and decieved but good luck with running the economy this way as there is a lot of shite shoved under the rug just to keep the money going but the rug is full and shite is about to burst all over the country, the government, the Gards and ordinary folks who just want to get by in life unfortunately as innocent are almost always the one who bear the brunt.

Advertisement