Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is a failed state

Options
  • 01-05-2024 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Generations of Irish people from 1171 to 1922 resisted Crown rule and refused to be assimilated into a British nation state. It was no small achievement for most of Ireland to leave the UK during the height of the British empire. Partition was and is a stranglehold against reaching our full potential, but I am not exaggerating or trolling when I say that we could have become a miniature USA had we played our cards right. Instead, what did we do?

In 1937 we introduced a weak heavily Catholic influenced constitution that has clearly not stood the test of time. We proceeded to pass LITERALLY every ridiculous law that the Crown has to the point that the laws are virtually indistinguishable from each other, except somehow worse because at least the UK are (partially) free of the tumorous lump of EU laws.

Ireland has:

• Some of the strictest gun laws in the world
    • No constitutional protections for freedom of speech & subsequent anti-freedom-of-speech laws
    • Extremely high taxes
    • Extremely restrictive car laws that are getting worse (I owned three cars 25 years ago). Ridiculously high taxes on all cars but especially those that are older as well as additional taxes based on engine displacement. Defeat devices are extremely illegal [radar detectors & Laser Jammers]
    • Strict vehicle import laws & taxes.
    • Horrendous immigration laws currently ruining Ireland & endangering the Irish People while many of our young talent emigrate abroad

Excuse the long post but I am passionate about this. I sometimes wonder what the point of us gaining independence was.

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭Augme

This has to be one of the worst takes ever. I honestly can't think of a conclusion that's been drawn that has been so far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No constitutional protections for freedom of speech & subsequent anti-freedom-of-speech laws

I am not exaggerating or trolling when I say that we could have become a miniature USA

at least the UK are (partially) free of the tumorous lump of EU laws

Excuse the long post but I am passionate about this. I sometimes wonder what the point of us gaining independence was.

It was so you could come out with silly statements like that, and not be taken out back and shot with balls of your own shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Horrendous immigration laws currently ruining Ireland & endangering the Irish People while many of our young talent emigrate abroad

100% correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Horrendous immigration laws currently ruining Ireland & endangering the Irish People while many of our young talent emigrate abroad

Hopefully they don't run into horrendous immigration laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,591 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭Shoog

If we only had more guns we could sort things out like gentlemen - just like America.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Head down to sub Sahara Africa and I'll show you a few failed states.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Some of the strictest gun laws in the world

This isn't even close to true. Do you know how many firearms are legally owned and held in Ireland?

The fact that this point made it to the top of your list speaks volumes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Latest CSO stats I saw has Irish people coming home and leaving at the same rate. I'd say less are leaving now than ever. All if the anglosphere has horrific housing crises. I know an ED consultant in Melbourne who can't afford to buy there unless he goes way out in the sticks.

And strict gun laws are a bad thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Sounds like the type of person that causes countries to have gun laws in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Don't be so melodramatic.

Haiti, Somalia, Sudan, Libya…..these are actual failed states. You know where law & order has broken down and local strong men rule with an iron fist.

The stuff you're on about. Literally first world problems you massive snowflake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,500 ✭✭✭✭elperello

OP.

We're not perfect but "failed state" is OTT.

From the ashes of the Civil War to date 100 years of democracy.

Look around the world and revisit your thesis.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

Literally the county has never had it so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Knew who the op was as soon as I saw the thread title 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Yeah but I bet you can use a radar detector or laser blocker (whatever they are) in Mogadishu.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Nah, we still have the polling station, used to fantastic effect only a couple of weeks ago. In another few weeks we can do it again.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

OP you lost me at the gun laws comment. Why anyone anywhere would want looser gun laws is beyond me unless your a fan of our neighbours to the West. As for those evil foreigners "Dey took er jerbs". OP you keep fighting the good fight put the balaclava, on don't foget the pitchforks and show them up on Kildare street you mean business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭tinytobe

It's one opinion, one of many.

At least there is freedom of speech.

However you're not entirely wrong about the state of Ireland. But at the same time a "failed state" is something way way worse.

I personally think that the Republic of Ireland took a lot of wrong choices in the past, but not all of them. The country is still attracting a good amount of foreign investment so it can't be all bad.

One of the general mentality problems I find in Ireland is that the Irish find it often hard to accept constructive criticism or denying that there is a problem at all. The latter of that makes things often worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• No constitutional protections for freedom of speech

Constitution of Ireland Article 40.6.1

The right of the citizens to express freely their convictions and opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jimmyrusseII

Ireland may have problems but that's no reason to complain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Thread closed, op banned from CA

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement