Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scammed out of 250 Euros. Will I get it back?

Options
  • 01-05-2024 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

So today I was scammed out of 250 Euros via an email impersonating my Auntie.
    Hook line and sinker.
    I bought a 250 quid Amazon e gift voucher (directly through the Amazon app, not a link to a fake site) and sent it to who I thought was my Auntie's friend.

I reported it to AIB and Amazon.
    Both have escalated it but that means that they haven't done anything yet (apart from AIB cancelling my card), they've just both passed it to another department.

As I purposely purchased it (albeit duped), will I get the money back?
    I just want a little certainty here instead of waiting a week +

Thanks

Andy

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I cant see how the bank would be responsible for this and giving you a refund.

But you may have hope with Amazon as it is their gift-card and I guess whoever has it will try to use it on their site. If you reported it fast enough you might be in luck. No certainty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Obviously this isn't 100% and I would still be attempting to recall the funds through both the bank and Amazon however it is very unlikely that you will get any redress from either of them unfortunately.

Amazon would need to give AIB permission to recall the funds from their account that the funds for the gift card were sent to. More than likely this would be refused and AIB would be told to get the customer to contact Amazon directly on this issues.

Sorry to hear this happened OP and hope you can get something sorted but I wouldn't have my hopes up if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So that we are on the same page, somebody contacted you pretending to be a friend of an aunt, asked you for money and you sent them a gift voucher, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭andybookie

Not cool that they played the Cancer card and said the recipient has just been diagnosed with Cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

OP has already admitted they were scammed / hook line etc..

It's easy to look on coldly (as many do) but the the scammer seeks and emotional or instinctive response.

Who are we to imply / raise eyebrows /judge, etc.

Hopefully OP can get their money back. If not, €250 (while no small sum) is a relatively cheap lesson compared to what it could be. You would hope Amazon can block the card so not all the money can be extracted/spent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Chances of getting it back are slim, sadly.

But dont feel bad about getting scammed.

It can happen to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I didn't imply or judge anything, I simply asked for a clarification. Any judgement came from you.

The details of what actually happened matter a lot to the decision of what to do next, or what the bank/Amazon will even be able to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭Genghis

Ah thats terrible, hate hearing of someone being scammed.

I am not sure there will be a lot AIB can do - you used your card to make a genuine purpose, they would not really have any ground to dispute the transaction and get you your money back.

If Amazon act quickly they could cancel the gift card and re-issue the €250 to you with a new card (so that at least you have the value of the card purchased).

Even if the card had been used to purchase Amazon items they might still have time to cancel the order before shipment and refund to a new card per above.

No doubt, though, the scammer has these scenarios factored in and I suspect the card will have been spent on an affiliated site before you even realised you had been scammed - probably buying something fulfilled instantly (digital) - maybe a prepaid debit card or similar on which cash can be withdrawn or value spent in a regular store.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭con747

OP have you asked the bank to do a charge back to the card?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Also for everyone's information, the email address was THE email address for my Auntie.

It was her email address, however somehow the reply was to a similar but different email address

[Auntiename]@hotmail.com her email for original email

[Auntiename]@outlook.com the reply email address

• Advertisement

@con747 Yes but can't imagine anything will come of that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

While they won't be able to do much to catch the criminals, you should report it to your local Garda station, as a crime has been committed. This may help with your dealings with the bank.

Unfortunately the Amazon card was probably spent within minutes of your email containing the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

What was the point of your rhetorical post ? It was by design condescending.

Now you seem very wise affter the fact but still offer no advice to the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭mikethecop

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Madd002

It can happen to anyone, my husband was busy at work & was genuinely waiting on a part for digger from UK, got a txt from AnPost saying customs charge due etc. he was up to his knees in muck clicked the link & over 900 taken but he didn't notice till evening. Anyhow his package came next day so we took a pic of that postmark etc. screenshot of txt from AnPost and had to go guards to report it. PTSB eventually refunded and sent a letter saying as a goodwill gesture etc.

I always wonder is it someone working on the inside as we noticed we'd receive those txts while we were waiting on packages since.

Also watch the Beekeeper film with Jason Statham, gives an insight to how these scams work.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Madd002

It just popped into my head as I ended up watching after coming across it one night a few wks back, then again any film with him in it I'd watch 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Ask them have they any "money laundering" concerns as that might make them think twice and do something

Advertisement