Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dublin airport

Options
  • 01-05-2024 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Towards end of May, I will be parking in Dublin airport (Terminal 1 Short Term Block C) from Sunday - Thursday.

When I arrive at airport (if I don't charge) my battery will be at about 20%, will need it to be close to 100% to get home again.

I have ESB, Tesla and Easygo apps.

I will be arriving back to airport carpark at about midnight with the other half and 2 children under 10. so less hassle is best at this time of night as have a 2 hour drive to get home.

What is best option for me to get going again?

Try and charge to 90% before I park up at airport - flight out is at an ok time of 13:30 so guess could do this.

or try and charge at airport before I leave, not sure of chargers there, a lot seem to be 22kw

suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,991 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The simplest option would be to leave the car with someone in the area who has a Zappi and solar panels, they charge the car for free and then drop it into the long term car park

Unfortunately, I would probably get in trouble for hiring out my driveway 😁

If possible it would be best to top up before arriving at the airport. Blanch HPC hubs is probably the closest big hub but the traffic can be bad and it could be a long enough detour

The Ecars unit in the airport is the closest option but is usually very busy with taxis. Arriving at midnight should be quieter, so might be a good option for a charge on the return journey

Unfortunately the hubs at Applegreen Finglas or Circle K Clonsaugh aren't built. Hopefully in future there'll be more options close by

It would also be nice if there was a hub in the airport, but they only seem interested in cramming more passengers in rather than making it easier for drivers

Make sure you turn the departure timers off to stop the battery being drained by the preheating

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'd charge to near full before flying out, you don't want thoughts of having to charge up after a flight with kids playing on your mind when you're on a break

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭obi604

Thank you, I will take you up on your offer of free charging :)

Yeah, I think with the kids etc, its better to charge before I get to the airport and then have enough juice to go home - to save charging at 1 or 2am on return leg

Might just do do Tesla enfield on way up, cause from what I hear Dublin chargers seem to be fairly busy

Yeah, might charge it up so that its at 90% at airport as don't want to leave it sitting for a few days on a full charge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

If you're not tied to that particular car park isn't there a charging service in the long term ones? Quick park maybe?

• Advertisement

not sure, I picked the short term car park as want to be relatively near the ariport, just with the times and kids and a 2 hour drive in front of me after the flight lands, I don't want to be waiting on buses to long term car parks etc

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Your best bet for a pre-flight charge up would be Applegreen Santry (Eircode K67 Y2C9) which has a Burger King and kids playground, and which has 4x180kW CCS chargers across 2 charge points.

Alternatively, if you're on your way from Enfield direction, it might be worth the brief M50 detour to Applegreen Ballymount which has the same bank of chargers, and unlike Blanchardstown is quick and easy to access.

Either way, get the AG Electric app installed and keep an eye on charge point availability while you're on your way!

thank you, what app do I need for this location, do yo know?

AG Electric it's called on my iPhone. Slight financial benefit to paying via the app, but you can tap with any debit card to pay at the charge points too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Applegreen Santry have EV chargers and they're fairly close to the Airport.

Charge to as high as your comfortable with.

Then a quick charge on the way home, preferably towards the end to get faster charging speeds.

I was thinking of just using Tesla Superchargers at Enfield

you'd still have a good bit of journey to go at that point, is the only issue. What time of the day on Sunday are you getting to the airport at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭innrain

Flight is at 13:30 so want to be parked up at airport at 11:30am

Tesla Enfield is 50km from airport, and the airport is 200km from my house, so 250km………but most of that motorway 😮

I have about 70kw of battery to play with, well I guess more so 65kw to do this 250km

I think you'd be absolutely fine arriving to Applegreen Santry at say 10:20am, getting some breakfast in the station while you get a nice charge for an hour. There should be little to no usage that time of the morning on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭eagerv

I would be inclined to only use Supercharging, a good bit going up and a little going home. And plan to get home with about 10%.

But only because I have a dislike (Perhaps irrational) of other charging, except perhaps for Ionity.

That's automatically irrational, unless you want to explain it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭eagerv

Just experience over the last 4 years with 2 evs. Hopefully now improved, I did say it was possibly irrational..😉

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jonathan2712

There are slow chargers in the Terminal 1 and 2 car parks. They are reliable, but often full. The other option is to park in the Red Car park, where there are two rapid chargers. You could arrive a little early, charge up and then park.

I drive an EV and fly in and out of Dublin airport every week, so have plenty of experience with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭ted1

park in the red car park and use the fast charger on the way out…..

You're struggling to do 250km in a car with a 70 kWh battery😲

I don't have the car too long, and haven't done too many journeys at motorway speeds. yes, its a 70 kWh of battery but lets be realistic - I will have between 90% and 10% battery to play with. so 56kwh from Dublin airport to do 250km

Motorway journey and faster speeds, if I get 22kwh per 100 k, that will give me about 255km. So not as if I have loads to play with.

Maybe my figures are off etc but that's how I see it

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Bovakinn

This is the best option imo.
    The shuttle bus is every few minutes and only takes a couple of minutes to get to the terminal.
    It's a lot cheaper than the short-term car park too.

Those figures make sense.

Maybe try slowing down for the return trip, it can have a big impact on consumption.

I know my Kona will do 16 kWh per 100 km sitting at 100 km/h and about 18/19 doing 110 km/h.

It might save you having to stop and charge at 2am.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,321 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

ePower

Also, why aren't you charging to 100% for a long trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭useless

Your best bet is to swap your electric car with your friend/neighbour, drive their diesel car to the airport and let them drive your electric while you're on holidays 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Use the fast charger at the Circle K where the M1/M50 interchange is. Likely to be free, but worth checking the APP on route against the airport fast charger. Its only 5 minutes away.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

I will be charging to 100% at my home before I leave. (If that’s what you mean)

Advertisement