Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BGS 2024 - Round 3 Ballyneety Golf Club - 18th May 12:08

Options
  • 01-05-2024 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Round three is fast approaching and we switch away from Links golf and into parkland. Ballyneety is a new course for me and somewhere new for the society too. It used to be County Limerick golf club until it closed in 2010, reopening as Ballyneety in 2013. From their website: This championship golf course is set on 183 acres of rolling Irish countryside. Stroll up the gentle slopes of the fourth fairway and be rewarded by stunning views of Limerick City and County and even the Clare Hills. This 18 Hole championship golf course has sand-based greens and tees all built to USGA standards. Co-designed by 2014 Ryder Cup Vice-Captain, Des Smyth and Irish Amateur International, Declan Branigan, the course opened for play in 1994.

Tee times are from 12:08 to 13:12 and we'll be going out in 4 balls. Booking will open tomorrow (Thursday 2nd) at 8pm and will cost €40.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Massive practice and warm up facilities here, those who go for this will not be disappointed

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Concerned2

Just FYI , if you want to use the driving range in the morning you have to book and pay for your slot on the ballyneety driving range website. You can't turn up and pay for a bucket of balls on the day like a lot of other driving ranges. The indoor bays are all trackman bays so the range is one of the better ones out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Alanm

There's a driving range available, see here: https://ballyneetydrivingrange.ie/

Nearest the Pin will be 13 and Long Drive on 17 and we'll be playing off the white tees. There's a bar and restaurant onsite for anyone who wants food afterwards. See you all in a couple of weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭paulos53

Their website has a good hole-by-hole overview for those who are unfamiliar with the course: https://www.ballyneetygolfclub.com/club/course-overview

Most holes are fully visible from the tee but it is worth taking a look at holes 5, 7, 12 & 15 in advance.

• Number 5 is the index 1 par 4. The first half of the hole is flat, followed by a big drop to the green. From the course overview, it looks the the ridge is 215 yards from the tee. Your choice of strategy is to layup and leave a very long second shot or hit driver and leave a tough second shot off a severe downslope.
    • Number 7 is a short par 4 dogleg left. You can attempt to hit over the corner but it is a blind landing area. Out of bounds right.
    • Number 12 is another short par 4 but water cuts into the fairway at around 225 yards from the tee.
    • Number 15 is a 155 metres/170 yards par 3 with water left and right of the green. The right side water may not be visible from the tee and could catch out those playing it for the first time. Anybody standing on this tee with a score to protect might consider the "GreeBo strategy" of laying up.

Post edited by paulos53 on

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭a post punk

looking forward to this 1 as it’s the closest and have never played it ! Only thing is I need to go straight after and play in the first slot aswell. Thanks for the course guide aswell 👍

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Unfortunately I have to miss this one, my wife booked to go to Girls Aloud. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sorbet

Thanks. Looking forward to this one - while I enjoyed the links experience of the first two rounds it will be nice to find a few more drives this time 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

can't make this one lads, interclub duties call

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭benny79

Really looking forward to this one. a long time playing partner left my club and joined here as he move to Limerick so have heard great things about it!

Post edited by benny79 on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

nice to be back on the road again with the boardsies

a new one for me, looking forward to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

New for me too. Looking forward to it after two poor showings on links.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Time to start my climb up the leaderboard!

Looking forward to the trip to Limerick to a new course, and from Paulos description after the day at the Jameson sounds like we're in for a very enjoyable day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Looks like a very interesting course and its always great to be visiting a course for the first time. Full of optimism and no bad memories. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Snackbox20

A brand new course for me also and can't wait to make the journey to Limerick, only down the road.

Hi all,

Is anyone having issues booking a slot for this outing? I have been trying since 8pm to book a timeslot and keep getting not available or locked out 🤔🤔🤔

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Might not be open yet - I wouldn't panic too much.

Update to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

same

Yes lad isn't open - changes being made in next hour or so.

did something there… try now

did it work?

nobody booking in so I don't know if its ok

• Advertisement

ok, boccy in there so looks ok

Booked in folks.

Great job

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭boccy23

Yeah, all sorted. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12 go1f

Wont make this one unfortunately. I'll be at Whiskey Live on the Friday so I doubt I'll be roadworthy the next morning. Enjoy all.

Can't make this one...work and a golf trip on the Monday....so not adding up for me....

Might hold top 10 (lol)...

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Concerned2

Phew , delighted I'm booked in for this as the course is only about 20 mins away from my house.

Nice to come home from work to find the next outing open for booking. Booking complete and can rest easy. Enjoy the weekend folks and hopefully some good golf for you all. In work all weekend but playing Monday at home in a team event and then Thursday in the scratch cup at Killeen Castle 😎

Great stuff Macker, what time you playing Killen Castle? I might see you there

I believe we are booked in for 10am. Should be good. The last time and only time I played it was years ago with the Boards Society. Given its only down the road from where I live I should have played it more often.

• Advertisement

👍 Think I'm an hour ahead of you, might see you there after. Great course, enjoy and good luck

Advertisement