Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bordering Coillte

Options
  • 01-05-2024 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

Hopefully the right place for a quick ‘what to do’ question. We’re living in Carlow and about a month ago had a company come out and remove about 15 trees around the house which are at risk of falling, or potentially causing damage to the house in the future. We live in Carlow in a fairly forested rural area, and to be honest it looks no different to a passer by.

the company removed 3 trees from a very corner point of coillte land (there’s no fence but a boundary ditch). The coillte forest obviously looks no different, but I haven’t slept since for fear of ending up in court for theft or something.

Its very clear that these trees could have harmed the house, they’re about 10m from the house however do predate the house. It was all done professionally and I’ve clearly no commercial interest in these 3 trees, however would be glad of them for firewood but haven't done anything yet. They’re currently still sitting on the forest floor.

so, what would you do? I’ve thought about contacting coillte and explain the mistake and offer to pay to replant, I’ve thought about removing those trees and quietly replanting like for like, and considered doing nothing. We’ve about 250m bordering a coillte forest of half a mountain, so an insignificant border really on their books. We’ve never had any dealings with coillte and really don’t want any - happy to live and let live sorta thing…

what’s the ‘responsible’ thing to do, but also what would be reasonably expected of me from someone in a coillte point of view.

many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I think the first thing you should do, and this is VERY important!, is forget about it and log the trunks and enjoy a nice warm fire. Send them a thank you card if you feel a need.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Don't say it was a MISTAKE by you to them anyway....you really should have reported your concerns to them and they'd have to take action themselves saving you the expense

• Registered Users Posts: 4 carkk2023

I wasn’t concerned or interested in those trees being removed at all initially, and didn’t request them to be removed, however the company went and did them in their brief of removing all that were dangerous / a risk… possibly me at fault for not being clearer about where the boundary was…

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

How did you get planning 10m from an established forest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 carkk2023

we’re only in the house a year - good question!

• Advertisement
Advertisement