Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderator's being totally biased.

Options
  • 30-04-2024 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭

Any chance of sorting out what the problem is with Beastie and Ten of swords. I have just received a warning and a two weeks ban yet again for mentioning immigration on a discussion about the National party.

What is going on. Totally ridiculous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deregos.

I get what you're saying. I'd imagine it would be a somewhat farcical endeavor to try and have a discussion about the National Party without mentioning immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭malinheader

Hopefully someone from boards will clear this up .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,695 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

If you wish to dispute a warning, infraction or a forum ban, you must do this in our Dispute Resolution forum below. Bear in mind that you must have tried to resolve the issue via PM with the moderator(s) first before a dispute can be considered.

https://www.boards.ie/categories/dispute-resolution

Thanks.

-Shield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Same here, absolutely sick of it, certain posters getting warnings constantly, while others gaslighting and trolling scot free all because the mod has similar views. Need some balance here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,933 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'm happy you're starting this thread malinheader.

We really need to call out the modding in this forum and especially around immigration.

There's a cohort of posters that make Current Affairs/IMHO forum and particularly around immigration unbearable and the mods do nothing on it.

edit

I get the forum is one of the hardest to mod but all the same it's very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭tom23

Phew.. i thought it was just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Poon Tang

Yep, I've had the same experience. Completely biased moderation, and false accusations with no evidence to back them up.

Basically, if you don't hold the right opinion on many of these threads you're getting banned for expressing that opinion.

And it's not just the immigration related threads either. Try disagreeing with the posse of users who aggressively control the Russia thread, and you can bet your ass they'll report you and get you banned. These mods are a law onto themselves by the look of it, and they back up certain posters who bully other users and shut down alternative viewpoints.

It's a bit of sham tbh, they're terrified of people holding different opinions to their own. And I've told one of the mods this by PM, they're openly and transparently practicing censorship on this site. They don't seem to care about integrity or honesty in how they conduct themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Here we go again.

Lads, come on, please, change the record. There is no “right opinion”. You’re getting done because you’re breaking the rules, plain and simple.

You can say whatever you like on here, as long as you do it within the rules. Coming in here every couple of months mewling about how the mods are being “unfair” and the site is a leftie stronghold is getting beyond ridiculous, at this stage.

Here’s an idea, try not ignoring the mod instructions on threads, attacking the poster not the post, being uncivil or, generally, acting the maggot and you’ll see how little “interaction” you’ll have with any member of the moderation team. Maybe dial back the anger too.

It’s really not that hard.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Perhaps check out the posters who are banned from current affairs and IMHO. Very one sided banning. And it's not a coincidence in my opinion. Like the way you mentioned a lefties strong hold Perhaps maybe your views help staying away from warnings, bans,etc.

Anyway I'm not slating all moderators just a couple who seem to be always popping up.

• Advertisement

No, any time I’ve gotten a warning, and there’s been a few, it’s because, for the most part, I’ve “overstepped”. There’s been a couple that I’ve felt were harsh and engaged with the moderator and 1 was a misunderstanding.

Posters get themselves threadbanned, and banned, for breaking the rules. There’s no big Marxist “conspiracy”. The mods, simply, cannot ban anyone unless they’ve breached these rules.

I’m sure if I checked the posters who are banned I’d see a number who I’d recognise for being, truly, terrible posters and, more than likely, the same ones who are given chance after chance by the moderators.

Having the patience of a saint much be a requirement for being a mod because there is no way I could listen to all that victim, play acting, nonsense that you see in the “Dispute Resolution” forum, or in here.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Glad you're happy. And I'm sure you will make moderator some day. Especially when you already seem to know who is a bad poster and who isn't. Hopefully your canvassing works out. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,361 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If you look at the list of people banned from the Zero Refugee thread most of them including myself would be right leaning.

There is definitely a bias.

Definitely biased towards anyone opposing certain issues. No chance of a level discussion with some moderators.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 newbie1956

says a lot abut this place that the mods cant be arsed replying after three days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I've said this before especially about the Russia/Ukraine threads.

The conduct in there is shocking, the absolute dregs of human behaviour online. Racism, inciting to hatred, applauding cruelty and killing, openly facist expressions, you name it. All good if done for the 'right side'.

Now I got banned from those threads for the right reasons. I couldn't contain myself and I had no intention to genuinely interact with that mob. Fair enough no complaints. But thats no excuse for what is being allowed to happen there and the absolute one-sidedness of the moderation. I've observed it. Not me but others have tried to argue in there and if not on the right side it's eventually 'trolling'.

And guess who's looking after many of those bans…

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,695 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Apart from guiding the OP to the Dispute Resolution forum, which I did at post 4, exactly what other moderator involvement did you expect from either Spear or myself? Thus far, the OP has not started a discussion in the correct forum and I see no value in locking this thread or it will just feed the theory that all mods are the same, shutting down discussions, etc.

Can you be precise here and tell me what you want from moderators in this forum?

Cheers.

-Shield

I have been in contact with a representative of Boards. Ie which I think it was you who told me to.Thanks for that. Not really any answers to my questions to be honest more feeling sorry for a certain two moderators who have a hard job on certain forums. Supposedly.

No explanation to why its very very noticeable that posters who are banned are all the same thinking on certain issues.

Also I queried about moderators merging certain threads. Answer was to stop banned posters being able to post in the thread.

I rest my case. By the way I find most moderators very fair but a certain few in my opinion are pushing their own agenda or one that they have been told to crush.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

@malinheader you have started a dispute thread. I will not contribute to this discussion until that dispute is resolved

As far as I know it has been resolved.

II'm Still banned from posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The immigration thread was closed because of ancedotes and attacking immigrants.

Firstly ancedotes is not in the charter, either it applies to the forum or it doesn't, this nonsense of a mod deciding during a thread to go update page 1 is nonsense.

It must be a shock for new users to get warnings for something they don't see in the charter, especially when positive ancedotes disappear a lot less than negative ones.

The second reason was because people were attacking immigrants, what happened was people posted statistics from countries who are further down the line than us, you would think that's a relevant discussion point.

If someone considers facts as attacking or hate then it's a worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Part of the problem is driven by many of the rules/charter in certain forums are left-leaning out of the gate, so that even centrist opinions can fall foul.

That stems mostly from the likelihood of those giving up time to moderate on the internet being left-leaning as a general principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ULEZ23

a tempature check for me with these type of threads is how many posts do the complainants have. Most of the posters raising grievances here have large number of posts, to me there looks to be a real issue that needs addressing

In what way do you think it needs addressing. Is it just the posters with grievances, who are all of a certain thinking i must add.Or all who are posting on the discussion even the ones that seem to never warrant a grievance.

You might contribute as to why immigration threads are being shut down.

There was two of them but conveniently the one that was left open was the Zero Refugee thread which Admins and Mods have banned most of us from so that shuts down debate on an important issue facing this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Augme

Name these racists so.

Should be no problem for you to call them out then seeing as you seem to be so sure you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭eggy81

Thank you for helping us to back up our claims.

• Advertisement

It’s a “quirk” of the site that you can’t call a racist “racist”, G.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement