Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young losing their IQ advantage over old ( the Times )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

No wonder the country is in the state it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

I've been saying this for years. Humans reached their peak in the 60s and 70s and its been a pretty sharp decline since. The need for critical thinking is reducing every day and instead people are fed mindless crap to fill their day. Go 20yrs on from here and unless AI figures something out we won't have alot of human achievements going on. Just more nonsense like the next generation of Facebook and tiktok.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Sunjava

Technology is killing us, we are bombarded with tons of worthless data and completely over-reliant on it. There is a significant lack of character in younger generations too, any fun and blagarding is being knocked out of us, PC brigade has people unable to express themselves freely. Biggest crippler is the phone.

I can see the world as depicted in the movie 'Idiocracy' eventually becoming a reality. Crops will be hydrated with Gatorade "for the electrolytes".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

True, will be interesting to see where are in the next 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Boredom is almost eradicated. There are young people now who have never known what it’s like to sit in a car for a two hour journey with absolutely nothing to do only look out the window and play with the window winder or push down lock. And if you didn’t go out on a Saturday night you were stuck in the living room with your parents and granny watching Kenny live followed by a decade or two of the rosary . No wonder there was even mid size villages with night clubs back in those days.

We need boredom back. Genuine mind numbing boredom sparks many great things. The phone has robbed us of boredom.
    But then Boredom probably spawned the phone so it would just re-emerge again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

And in 2080, some people living then will say that, "humans reached their peak in the 2010s, 2020s" etc. Every generation points to the past for nostalgic reasons, not because what they claim is true. The people saying the 60s, 70s etc. were the "best" probably couldn't last 48-hours there, before wanting to return back to 2024.

On the IQ point, I don't value IQ scores in the way that some do.

You could have a person with a very high IQ who lacks social skills and couldn't work productively in a large organization.

IQ is only one side of the story, a pretty bad side if that becomes the sole focus.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." — George Orwell

• Registered Users Posts: 27,113 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

But the whole point of the story is IQ? It has nothing to do with people in the workforce or ability to work in a large organization. Without high IQ you dont get the advancements that we take for granted today, social skills dont get you microchips or the internet or to space.

Your argument might as well be that, you could have a person with great social skills but doesnt have two legs so couldnt play hop scotch. The very essence of the point they are making is that IQ hasnt advanced, like it has for every other generation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

OP is just a link dump and a video. Not very convincing.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭crusd

It is without doubt that thinking and the value of thought is deteriorating. I would suggest that even those in their 40's and 50's who learned to think for themselves are regressing as they "google it" instead of thinking about it. On the flip side, a lot af people would be advised to "google it" instead of taking everything they encounter on whatsapp/facebook/X/tiktok etc at face value. Its not really the information age that is dumbing people down, its the way we use it.

There will always be a minority of extremely inventive, creative, and entrepreneurial people in society.

The idea that this will suddenly stop is for the birds.

Similarly, somebody could score low on an "IQ test" but perform high in creativity and inventiveness.

The very idea of IQ tests makes me cringe, especially the people who want to enter Mensa for egomaniacal, narcissistic reasons.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." — George Orwell

• Advertisement

IQ is a measurement of ones reasoning ability, if you never have to reason anything because its all handed to you on a plate then you are not going to have much of an IQ.

What advancements have their been from creativity?

Again, the very purpose of the article is to point out how IQ levels are no longer increasing, your whataboutery doesnt change that I am afraid.

The only person to bring in Mensa was you. Did you not make the grade perhaps…

I don't follow the logic of the argument, though.

Generation born in 1980s has made no advance in cognitive ability while over-65s are smarter than before.

The gap in brain performance between the young and old is closing, in part because the IQ gains once seen in each new generation appear to have stalled, a study suggests ( new research, by Professor Stephen Badham of Nottingham Trent University ).

First, there must be a ceiling on how "smart" humans can become. The idea that IQ can increase in each generation to the same extent as the generation before is absurd. Stalling and reversing are two very different things.

Second, over-65s are "smarter than before", meaning that the gap compared to younger people has no choice but to close.

I don't have access to the full article, but I would like to see the actual stats that show the average IQ in specific age groups in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000, and 2010s — for a full comparison.

Saying that old people are smarter than before, therefore younger people are dumber, doesn't appear to follow. And as I say, stalling and reversing are not synonymous terms.

"Generation born in 1980s has made no advance in cognitive ability while over-65s are smarter than before

The gap in brain performance between the young and old is closing, in part because the IQ gains once seen in each new generation appear to have stalled, a study suggests ( new research, by Professor Stephen Badham of Nottingham Trent University )."

The reason it doesn't appear to follow is that it doesn't follow and that the article doesn't imply it does. Perhaps a good example of poor reasoning skills?

Todays over-65s are smarter than the last generations over-65s.

Todays 30-40 year olds are not smarter than the last generations.

Ergo the gap between over-65s and 30-40 year olds is less than it was previously.

Why must there be a ceiling on how smart humans can become?

Why must there be a ceiling on how smart humans can become?

There is no evidence that "IQ" can naturally increase at the same rate forever, that's why; that it is somehow infinite.

Clearly there must be a reasonable, average limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

the real issue is that there are people thick enough to buy into the above

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think many posters are reading the article the wrong way (trying to confirm their own biases?)

it does not say the young are getting thicker. it says the rate of improvement of IQ has slowed. the article is paywalled so i don't know if there are any possible explanations proffered; maybe education has become more universal, or improvements in nutrition plateaued?

there was (or should have been) a measurable jump in IQ after leaded petrol was banned, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

could not agree more, you see kids at such a young age with ipads and phones, its utterly mad. My kids are at the 20 mark , some older, we used to control the time they'd have on devices.

Not sure its necessarily IQ level per sa, partly parents fault not fostering talent's that end up being wasted….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭aidanodr

@magicbastarder Re the article is PAYWALLED - Yip it is unfortunately. I have access to it but is too long to post the whole thing. Its also published in the Telegraph, also paywalled :(

Anyway - here is a bit more of the aricle that may be of help - sort of meat and veg of the article from what I could see:

Badham reviewed 60 studies that had looked at cognition in older and younger adults, to explore how differences between the generations had changed. Older adults tended to be defined as those over 65, while researchers typically used university students, aged about 18-22, to study the young.

Overall, the evidence pointed to improving performance among older adults, with nearly70 per cent of the measures used showing better performance in later cohorts of older adults than in earlier ones. Only 5 per cent showed the reverse, with the rest showing no clear trend.

“In other words, the average older person today is cleverer than the average older person was in 1980,” said Badham.

By contrast, improvements in young adults’ cognition appear to have flattened around 2000, closing the gap between generations. “When we compare young and older adults today, the gap is smaller than it was in the past,” Badham said. “Therefore, the decline an individual might expect to experience as they become older is smaller than originally thought. In other words, we can expect to be more cognitively able than our grandparents were when we reach their age.”

Later yesterday I saw this tweet and thought it may be related to this also:

Grade inflation is completely out of control at Irish universities, with 25% of students now gaining first class honours. The figure should not rise much beyond 10% but we’ve turned universities into supermarkets + this is the result. We urgently need to review marking standards.

I assume this grade inflation means people now getting higher class honours and but may not deserve same, did not do the work to achieve these marks? So setting up a sort of false up and coming cohort into a workplace?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Shoog

IQ testing has inate social/cultural biases so is a limited way of assessing intelligence, it is also biased against the patterns of thought modern technology is encouraging. There are many technical jobs that young people do which the older generation literally don't understand.

I think if the data is showing a decline in IQ test score the first thing we need to do is look at IQ testing as a way of measuring intelligence.

• Advertisement

@Shoog Have a look at the post 2 above yours - #19 .. The post in OP is paywalled, I have access so I posted a bit more of the meat / veg of the article in post #19 ( article too long to post all ) .. the head of study mentions they looked at cognition in older and younger adults

And found a nonpaywalled article which appears to be the source of all this:

https://www.ntu.ac.uk/about-us/news/news-articles/2024/04/brain-function-of-older-adults-improving

Found a NON PAYWALLED Article which appears to be the source of all this:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I think if the data is showing a decline in IQ test score

it's not, though. IQ test scores were steadily rising for many years; that rise has stalled (regardless of what value you place in IQ tests).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It’s hardly surprising considering the ever increasing push for thought conformity that undermines critical thinking.

AI is undoubtedly a major factor as well though. I am working with a large number of people who admittedly work smarter because they use machine learning to bridge the gaps in their knowledge, but they struggle to fix and document processes, and they also don’t see an issue with it.

AI is undoubtedly a major factor as well though.

ah here, how? AI has been a consumer product for barely a year or two; nowhere near long enough to be able to actually measure its effect (if indeed, there is any).

if anything, the world is far more diverse in its thinking than it used to be; ireland especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

The data is showing pretty much the opposite of what you're proclaiming. It's not saying young people are getting dumber, it's saying that (a) the rate in increase has slowed a little, and more significantly (b) people are not getting dumb as they get older as fast as they used to.

Direct quote from the source (rather than the newspaper's take on it):
    "Therefore, the decline an individual might expect to experience as they become older is smaller than originally thought. In other words, we can expect to be more cognitively able than our grandparents were when we reach their age."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I meant asking ChatGPT to write code for them but then being unable to replicate the learning without additional help. But they are fast and deliver results.

Also from orig study article above:

In contrast, findings show that that young adults’ cognition remained relatively flat across time – closing the gap between generations.

The study shows that older people have higher IQs compared to older people in the past; and that younger people have largely similar IQs to younger people in the past.

If anything, the only substantive conclusion we can draw here is that older people have on average higher IQs compared to older people in the past.

That cannot be translated into "younger people are dumber". That's logically fallacious reasoning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭yagan

Isn't the study about the UK?

Advertisement