Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad workmanship, can i sue?

Options
  • 29-04-2024 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Upon recommendation i invited a local paving and landscaping company to price laying tarmacadam on my driveway. I insisted to him verbally that it needs to be a good job and that they must use a heavy duty roller for a good smooth finish. We agreed a price and i never haggled. Work started the following week and i had a few reservations about heights and drainage etc but he insisted all these things will be good and not to worry. Anyway i made the most stupid mistake and i paid in full (cash) on the eve of the tarmacadam arriving as we were heading away for the weekend to allow the new surface to cure. So when i got back the finish was horrendous all lumps and bumps and hilly in parts. I checked the cctv and no roller was used just a plate compactor and you can see lines everywhere from this throughout the drive. Even 5 days later the 2 cars were leaving tyre impressions when parked overnight. He agreed to "redo it" as we were so unhappy. 6 months later he won't reply or return my calls or messages. What's my best course of action as this needs to be ripped out and redone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

You could take a civil case I'd imagine. Better to get legal advice from a solicitor all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Are you sure the "local paving and landscaping company" weren't all related family members so to speak.... I'd say you are in l on a road to nowhere if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭GBX

You could try sue - talk to a solicitor. It could end up costing you more in stress and worry even if you are advised to go down this route. Are they an actual company or somebody that portrays to be a company but works only for cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Incubus7

They are definitely of the related family member types. Anyway they got back to me after my persistent calls and said that they would come back in a few weeks and redo it. I won't hold my breath……

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭lmk123

So you paid them lads cash up front and left them off alone doing the job, What else would you expect in all fairness, best of luck suing them. I hope they do fix it for you, if they do you should do the lotto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭HBC08

I haven't got any constructive advice here that hasn't been mentioned already except maybe to keep calling them.

You can forget the legal route here with our native brethren.They cant be touched and you'll only waste more money and possibly bring hassle on yourself.

If it was me I'd take the hit and get a proper company to do it,put it down to a costly lesson and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, it comes down to this: Does that 'local paving and landscaping company' have any assets that could be seized if you successfully sued them and they refused to pay up?

If it's just a bunch of lads operating from a truck, you can forget about going to law, you'd simply be throwing good money after bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Madd002

Did you not get ground ready yourself or by a groundworks guy etc re heights & drainage, tarmacadam guys don't do that side of Job.

If you had cctv of job being done keep that for proof & you may be able to use name that was on their van to a) name them in an action taken against them & b) check if their a registered company.

As for payment upfront you could say they promised to forward on an invoice as you were heading away for wkend while they done the job.

Advertisement