Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy decent wetgear

Options
  • 29-04-2024 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Where do you buy your wetgear for golf? What are the best brands for quality, waterproof and comfort?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

53 degrees north in blanch

Craghoppers waterproofs are a fraction of the price of golf gear. Theyve a website too thats cheaper

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The fact this is being asked in April is saying something 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Russman

I've sometimes found good deals on Function18 for previous year styles.

Halpenny often have decent value on the likes of Proquip. McGuirks IMO tends more towards Sunderland and Under Armour, with Galvin Green being the top of the pile.

Galvin Green are probably the best and the price reflects that. They last for years though. Pricey as heck.

I've found Sunice to be excellent too, but only their gore-tex stuff. I've a pair of their gore-tex trousers that I got on special on Function18 years ago and they're still pretty much perfect after a wash. Definitely say they're the best bang for buck I've ever gotten for waterproofs.

Footjoy's Hydroknit is really featherweight and comfy (definitely only for summer) but I don't know how their waterproofing stands up. Saw them on a sale rack in Leopardstown driving range at the weekend.

IMHO if you can get gore-tex its worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭oleard1987

I purchased the Footjoy Hydroknit around two months ago.It is fantastic at keeping out the rain.The gear is very light and doesn't restrict movement at all but as Russman said it won't keep you warm.Good body warmer needed in the winter .

I purchased this in Mc Guirks aswell to answer the OPS actual question

Post edited by oleard1987 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭coillcam

I got a Galvin Green jacket 1/2 price a couple of years back when our pro shop was clearing out stock. Couldn't fault it tbh, the quality is great. I went a size up as it was just a little too snug and restrictive. Have Callway trousers and their fine also.

Whatever about a polo or 1/2 zip I'd highly recommend trying on the wet gear in person. Ideally wear your normal golf trousers/polo/top so you can get a feel of how comfortable or restrictive it is.

When it's not bucketing down, I've a couple of trousers that are water repellent which do the job nicely with my GG jacket. I only throw on the fully waterproof over trousers if I know it's going to be heavy rain. I try to minimize the layers or restriction as much as possible tbh.

Loads of outdoors brands have waterproofs for hiking, walking etc. They can easily be suitable for golf but do try them on and see what it's like to make an swing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

I went a size up on my galvin green, esp in the winter when you might have a few layers on you want something that won't squeeze the life out of you

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

One other/unusual suggestion….Cross Sportswear on line, Swedish company. Deals come around every now and then. Highly recommend the below for pants (got them on a 50% off deal). I throw them on if risk of rain before going out (0% chance of water getting in) and still light and comfortable if turns into a decent day i.e. wear them as pants as I can't stand the overpants ones. Highly recommended (my son has started robbing them for outdoor training in winter). Don't like their jackets, went down the Galvin Geen path for that one.

https://www.cross-sportswear.com/collections/menswear-golf-pants/products/m-edge-pants-br-black

Advertisement