Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera Doorbell power over alarm cabling

Options
  • 29-04-2024 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,

The doorbell wiring in my house is 8v and not enough to power my Reolink doorbell camera. I know I could get an electrician to replace the transformer in the fusebox with 12v, but that will cost me more than the camera! (Camera supports 12v - 24V)

The house is wired for an alarm that is not in use. The wire is 6 core and one end is poking out conveniently located right by the frontdoor. The other end is in the utility room of the house with all the cat6 cables etc.

My question is, would I be ok to use the doorbell AC/DC adapter plugged in in the utility room, connected to red&black on the alarm cable which I'd extend and run to the doorbell?

The adapter properties are:

AC/DC Adapter

Input: 100-240v~ 50/60Hz 0.3A Max

Output: 24v 0.5A 12.0W

The cables are rated to a lot more voltage than the adapter supplies, and I'm guessing a new doorbell transformer would do a similar job of converting AC - low voltage DC, so I think it should be ok?!

Any suggestions/comments welcome.

Thanks,

Conor

Comments

Advertisement